Steam Survey Results For February 2022 Put Linux Right Above 1.0%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
    I'm not sure about the controller vs. keyboard/mouse thing, I would have to try some games on the console to see what works better.
    There is a learning curve coming from keyboard mouse. But at the end of it, the main difference you will notice is you can use a controller lounging on the couch rather than sat at a desk - with friends.

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
    are PC only though. ..... If I pirate stuff it is between me and my own conscience. If others pirate theirs, I don't consider myself responsible.
    Yeah, and it's lovely to have a clear conscience. I'm not "anti" PC gaming in any way, play a lot of CSGO now (on Linux) since they scrubbed the free ranking path and a lot of the cheaters disappeared from the match ups.

I got a console after playing with friends to play with friends - dumped windows gaming very soon after, even tho I still used windows for some stuff. Now I don't have a windows machine in the house, and am Linux desktop, Mac mobile, very happy with all of them. Occasionally I sit in front of a windows machine, and am very quickly reminded what a steaming pile of shite it became after windows 7 - which is why I find the whole "windows gaming" meme so gnawing - there are no good reasons to have such an unpleasant gaming experience as you get on windows - pirating and cheating are not good reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      There is a learning curve coming from keyboard mouse. But at the end of it, the main difference you will notice is you can use a controller lounging on the couch rather than sat at a desk - with friends.
      [...]
      Occasionally I sit in front of a windows machine, and am very quickly reminded what a steaming pile of shite it became after windows 7 - which is why I find the whole "windows gaming" meme so gnawing - there are no good reasons to have such an unpleasant gaming experience as you get on windows - pirating and cheating are not good reasons.
      I suspect the controller would remain a mixed blessing. On one hand, there are quite a few people who say keyboard/mouse are supreme in FPS. On the other hand, I have often found keyboard control unsatisfactory for controlling vehicles in games. Because that means either maximum or zero steering angle, nothing in between.

Sadly, choice in input options is often neglected by game developers on the PC. Because apparently the PC as such can handle the controller hardware, at least the PS5 controller. There is a Linux driver, and there are HOWTOs on the net for using the controller with Windows.

About the Windows part, I will admit to some "luddite-ness":
      My Windows partition is still Windows 7. Because I agree about the steaming pile of shite after Windows 7. But I have been postponing my next PC upgrade for a while now, and depending on what I buy lack of drivers may force the end of Win7 anyway. The GPU will be either AMD or Intel ARC, Nvidia is out. Surprisingly there is a Win7 driver for AMD's RX 6600 series. For Intel ARC it seems unlikely.

Edit / update:
      War Thunder runs under Steam on my old machine now. Did not even need fiddling with the configuration. The number of games that work only on Windows for me is indeed shrinking.
      Last edited by Rabiator; 13 March 2022, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        Windows is just broken in so many ways its just not worth the time and effort, games are supposed to be fun, absolutely nothing is fun about windows unless you are one of those who loves the feeling of sticking your hand in a meat grinder.
        Wow thanks for telling me I've been having no fun all of this time. I guess it must really suck when I start up Fortnite or Warzone and it just works. I thought I was having fun playing every game on Steam and every single game not on Steam, but I guess it sucks and I've been living in pain. Again, thanks for telling me! I didn't know!

Comment

Originally posted by tyolotd View Post

Wow thanks for telling me I've been having no fun all of this time. I guess it must really suck when I start up Fortnite or Warzone and it just works. I thought I was having fun playing every game on Steam and every single game not on Steam, but I guess it sucks and I've been living in pain. Again, thanks for telling me! I didn't know!
          Tell me you don't understand the difference between windows and fortnite without telling me you don't understand the difference between windows and fortnite.

Love to know why you chose to play with people who mostly cheat at fortnite tho, couldnt be because you like to cheat in fortnite could it?
          Last edited by mSparks; 17 March 2022, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X