Cemu Emulator Plans For 2022 With Going Open-Source, Aiming For Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    There were rumors early on that CEMU used copyright/stolen work to accelerate its development and being closed source was an attempt to hide that.
    Let's hope they didn't steal from Dolphin.......

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
      Too late. You can play the best Wii-U games using Yuzu.
      But Yuzu isn't a Wii U emulator.

Plus using it is kind of a luxury as you absolutely need a console from before 2018 prior to even running any games.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        But Yuzu isn't a Wii U emulator.
        I guess, because nintendo re-released many wiiu games for the switch again? But cemu is better for certain games like zelda breath of the wild.

Comment

Not to mention the 1000 messages I received along the lines of "This emulator is doomed when it doesn't go open-source". It makes me want to prove them otherwise.
          The child in me wishes Nintendo would C&D them before they open-source it to prove them wrong.

The adult in me just want to make sure their work doesn't go to waste like various items of closed-source freeware that withered when maintainership dried up.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Let's respond to the roadmap:
            LLVM as a CPU JIT backend

This wouldn't be a good idea, even if LLVM outputs faster code than the custom recompiler.
            Reason is because LLVM is not optimized for compilation times which means that unless ahead of time compilation is employed, this may lead to increased stutter and lag spikes.
            ACO vs. LLVM benchmarks prove this.
            One of the big reasons for switching to ACO was so that compiler fixes didn't have to wait for a new LLVM version but could just be implemented in ACO immediately. This isn't such a problem for an emulator, because LLVM's CPU backends are more mature and don't have so many bugs.

Also, an emulator can just interpret the binary while waiting for the compiler in a background thread, while for shaders the execution of the game blocks until the shader has been compiled, and any new code (except for after starting a new game) is likely to take a small enough proportion of execution time that it doesn't cause stuttering.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              Yuzu is a Switch emulator, not Wii-U.
              And Nintendo released pretty much all of their Wii U games on Switch.

Comment

I wonder how much of the code could be shared with decaf.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

One of the big reasons for switching to ACO was so that compiler fixes didn't have to wait for a new LLVM version but could just be implemented in ACO immediately. This isn't such a problem for an emulator, because LLVM's CPU backends are more mature and don't have so many bugs.

Also, an emulator can just interpret the binary while waiting for the compiler in a background thread, while for shaders the execution of the game blocks until the shader has been compiled, and any new code (except for after starting a new game) is likely to take a small enough proportion of execution time that it doesn't cause stuttering.
                  Yup, considering that the core logic for most emulators tends to be single threaded using another thread to compile code in background is an excellent use of resources

Comment

Finally, it's about time. Their works is already overshadowed by freee-opensource more relevant yuzu anyway. Also no native Linux support?

Comment

That was an unpredictable surprise, but an welcomed one. Works great under wine, btw. But native will be great An perhaps android ports after open source

Comment

Working...
                      X