Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

LLVM as a CPU JIT backend

This wouldn't be a good idea, even if LLVM outputs faster code than the custom recompiler.
    Reason is because LLVM is not optimized for compilation times which means that unless ahead of time compilation is employed, this may lead to increased stutter and lag spikes.
    ACO vs. LLVM benchmarks prove this.
    Seems to have worked well enough for RPCS3.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Upgrading to modern C++, switching to makefile

A good solution is to use CMake. It generates Makefiles, Visual Studio projects and even Ninja build files (and Ninja has demonstrated faster build times than Make).
    It will save you the trouble of having to deal with every possible build environment.
    That or Meson

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      And Nintendo released pretty much all of their Wii U games on Switch.
      Doesn't change what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        I wonder how much of the code could be shared with decaf.
        I feel like there would be very little reason for Decaf to be developed after Cemu goes open source.

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        Finally, it's about time. Their works is already overshadowed by freee-opensource more relevant yuzu anyway. Also no native Linux support?
        I don't know about "overshadowed". As others have said, you need an older Nintendo Switch to even copy games to your comp. The Wii U doesn't have that same limitation and Cemu is still preferred for games like Breath of the Wild because of what you can do with graphics packs.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
          There were rumors early on that CEMU used copyright/stolen work to accelerate its development and being closed source was an attempt to hide that.
          The only thing that I can see that applying to is the Dolphin emulator, since this can also play Wii games.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post

The only thing that I can see that applying to is the Dolphin emulator, since this can also play Wii games.
            By stolen work, I mean Nintendo's internal development resources. The kind of stuff you could reasonably be charged with corporate espionage for leaking.

Comment

By stolen work, I mean Nintendo's internal development resources. The kind of stuff you could reasonably be charged with corporate espionage for leaking.
              There's still no reason to assume that Cemu was using those resources. Just because they could doesn't mean that they likely did.

Comment

With most of the good games on the wii u, all the ones I care about anyways, existing on the switch, I just use ryujinx, a competent switch emulator that doesn't steal code like a certain other switch emulator. cemu being opensource would be cool though, while I play games perfectly fine like botw, having access to the cemu related mods would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

There's still no reason to assume that Cemu was using those resources. Just because they could doesn't mean that they likely did.
                  The reason to assume is that cemu's progress has been significantly faster than what should be possible according to historic precedence. Milestones that would normally take years were accomplished in months. So either cemu's team is made up of some of the greatest engineers to ever live, or something is going on behind the scenes. One of these is significantly more likely, and so far it's been impossible to check.

Comment

The reason to assume is that cemu's progress has been significantly faster than what should be possible according to historic precedence. Milestones that would normally take years were accomplished in months. So either cemu's team is made up of some of the greatest engineers to ever live, or something is going on behind the scenes. One of these is significantly more likely, and so far it's been impossible to check.
                    yeah, they were accomplished in months despite cemu being 6 years old now and it's not like cemu is some ground breaking console. compared to it's equivalents it is quite simple, most of the added work was in the gpu and extra oomph behind the cpu. not to mention cemu was a for profit emulator it had an emphasis on playing games with minimal issue, without being so concerned of emulation quality, you can see the earning history, and it payed off quite well if the charts are to be believed.

so with cemu being "relatively" simple not to under sell the devs, they did a good job still, with plenty of funding. with the architecture already having a good understanding thanks to previous emulators. I don't think it to be so unbelievable.

Comment

A lot of it's hardware is similar to or identical to the GameCube and Wii. It's CPU is literally just a higher clocked tri-core variant of the Gekko/Broadway which themselves were nearly identical to a chip used in old PPC Macs. The GPU was based off a low-end AMD desktop GPU.

The majority of what Cemu does is high-level emulation of the OS and graphics API and those were already being researched by the homebrew community.

Cafe came out at nearly the same time and realistically had the same number of devs, they probably just couldn't put as much time into it as Exzap being Ex was being paid to work on it.

Researching Wii U emulation. Contribute to decaf-emu/decaf-emu development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                      X