Steam Beta Adds VA-API Acceleration For Remote Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    What is the use case for accelerated encoding?
    In addition to what yump said, theoretically, it facilitates the use of better video codecs in the future.

h264 (which is what Steam uses now AFAIK) is pretty easy to run on the CPU. HEVC is a harder. AV1 is *very* hard.

Newer codecs would give you better quality at the same bitrate, as well as some other useful features (like bit depths higher than 8 bits, HDR support, maybe some codec native features like grain generation, better scaling, smarter bitrate control and so on).
    Last edited by brucethemoose; 03 November 2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      (Hopefully in time though we'll see Vulkan Video take over for video encode/decode in a cross-platform friendly manner.)
      *hopes hardr*

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

Simon at Collabora did tell me that was on the way... 20 months ago.
        I wonder what will arrive sooner: Steam 64-bit or GTK3 GIMP (stable)?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

Simon at Collabora did tell me that was on the way... 20 months ago.
          20 months is not that bad. GitHub issue for that is open since 2014. Guess we have to wait little longer.

Comment

I just tried this out. AMD RX 580 GPU (old one by now but still adequate if you don't use 4k) on the game pc.
            Low end AMD embedded vega on a laptop.

While the steam magic remote play works like magic, it does look.... Quite blocky/compressed with hardware encoding.
            Now this was with the game Ori which has lots and lots of subtle effects moving around. For this game the hardware encoding was not playable in my option. But i'm sure this is a lot more playable in a shooter!

What i was much more impressed by was the software encoding! After flipping that "on" (aka, disabling hardware encoding) i was welcomed with quite nice graphics in Ori and played it for a few hours

In my specific case software encoding was the way to go. This doesn't mean the hardware encoding is bad. There are so many settings to tweak to make that a much better experience. I'm sure Valve will improve it (a lot) to get on par with software encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

20 months is not that bad. GitHub issue for that is open since 2014. Guess we have to wait little longer.
              2014->2012 : https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...nux/issues/179

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                This doesn't mean the hardware encoding is bad. There are so many settings to tweak to make that a much better experience. I'm sure Valve will improve it (a lot) to get on par with software encoding.
                Not really. It will never improve. That's just the reality with the AMD hardware encoder.
                The hardware encoder that AMD cards use is the worst in the industry. On Nvidia cards the stream looks just as good as software encoding, and there is lower latency.

Comment

I saw in https://wiki.libav.org/Hardware/vaapi
                  That there are not yet support for MPEG4, VP9 decode via libva2 for AMD { Southern Islands | Sea Islands |Volcanic Islands },
                  don't know if the problem is in libva2 or in mesa..
                  an example of vainfo on amd kavery:
                  Code:
                  $ vainfo
                  libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
                  libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
                  libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_10
                  libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
                  vainfo: VA-API version: 1.10 (libva 2.10.0)
                  vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 20.3.5 for AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.0-8-amd64, LLVM 11.0.1)
                  vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                  VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
                  VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
                  VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
                  VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
                  VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
                    I was referring to another issue, thank you for correction.

Comment

Working...
                    X