Atari VCS Controller Support Added To SDL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Did you get the 4 or 8 GB model? What speed memory did it come with? You should be able to find out just by running dmidecode and searching for the string "DDR4".

Also, what overclock are you using?
    8 GB, It's laptop memory so doesn't give all the details, but the model number is the same as what Kingston OEMS for NAS like synology. It's 2666MT/s, despite the chip running it at it's default maximum of 2400.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I hope that it isn't using a single stick of 8GB ram. While Atari games don't need it, PC Mode and all their streaming features would benefit from dual channel memory. APUs like that shit.
      You're +100% right about the dual channel setup, I just bought one of these from Office Depot for $550 (for the 5700g) and sure enough it came with ONE 16GB stick of 3200 DDR4, and in the Valley benchmark it was running barely 60% of my 2400g. I tried some other RAM but HP, being HP, didn't offer any way to set the XMP for the memory so I bought an identical 16GB stick and the 5700G and now it's a pretty nice system, so far the 5700g is only a little faster (graphics-wise) than the Vega 11 on my 2400g and with a 180W power supply I can't add a video card but on the other hand, there aren't any video cards so I make do with the Vega 8 5000 video.

I suppose that if video cards ever come down (yeah right) I can buy a proper motherboard, case and PSU and have a real computer. Considering the 5700g will probably run $350, 16G of 3200 RAM $100 and a 256 NVMe drive is $35, I'll wind up throwing away $65 on the proprietary HP stuff. Until then I've got a 5700g to play with minus a discrete video card.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post

You're +100% right about the dual channel setup, I just bought one of these from Office Depot for $550 (for the 5700g) and sure enough it came with ONE 16GB stick of 3200 DDR4, and in the Valley benchmark it was running barely 60% of my 2400g. I tried some other RAM but HP, being HP, didn't offer any way to set the XMP for the memory so I bought an identical 16GB stick and the 5700G and now it's a pretty nice system, so far the 5700g is only a little faster (graphics-wise) than the Vega 11 on my 2400g and with a 180W power supply I can't add a video card but on the other hand, there aren't any video cards so I make do with the Vega 8 5000 video.

I suppose that if video cards ever come down (yeah right) I can buy a proper motherboard, case and PSU and have a real computer. Considering the 5700g will probably run $350, 16G of 3200 RAM $100 and a 256 NVMe drive is $35, I'll wind up throwing away $65 on the proprietary HP stuff. Until then I've got a 5700g to play with minus a discrete video card.
        Wow. They must be giving great in-store deals. That's over $100 off their online price for the same system. Great buy.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Did you get the 4 or 8 GB model? What speed memory did it come with? You should be able to find out just by running dmidecode and searching for the string "DDR4".

Also, what overclock are you using?
          To add, I bought 32GB before the overclockability was discovered, So I bought 2400MT/s. Tightened the timings and bumped the TDP to max (54W). Doesn't sound like it's drawing that, but turbos indefinitely and doesn't downclock the GPU under heavy CPU load.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
            You're +100% right about the dual channel setup, I just bought one of these from Office Depot for $550 (for the 5700g)
            To be fair, that's 8x Zen3 cores @ base clock of 3.8 GHz (4.6 GHz turbo) and 512 shader GPU @ 2.0 GHz.
            In this thread: 2x Zen1 cores @ base clock of 2.6 GHz (3.5 GHz turbo) and 192 shader GPU @ 1.2 GHz.

If we multiply it out, that's about 5.8x (or 5.3x turbo) the Core GHz and 4.4x the GPU shader GHz. And if we adjust for IPC improvements between Zen1 and Zen3 (using a figure of 1.46, based on their relative SPECBench2006 clock-normalized scores), it works out to 8.6x (7.7x turbo) of the CPU performance. So, basically as apples-and-oranges as one can get. That you even got 60% of a dual-channel 2400G says a single-channel should be decent for the VCS.

Another point of reference: a Raspberri Pi v4 has only LPDDR4-3200 @ 32-bits (12.8 GB/s). And that's about 3.5x what the Pi v3 had.
            Last edited by coder; 04 June 2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
              If you got in early and remved the password on the BIOS, you could even overclock it.
              But that was loved by everyone, so they changed the password and won't hand it out. So I guess my VCS is never going back to AtariOS.
              They did release the password, it's Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

Comment

And here I thought I could reuse my old 1 button Ataric VCS 2600 COM-Joystick...

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                  But that was loved by everyone, so they changed the password and won't hand it out.
                  How to kill a user base instantly.

Comment

Working...
                  X