Steam on Linux Gaming Marketshare Steady For April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Linux is already not easy to get into considering the sheer amount of distos, DEs, ways to setup GRUB, the need to use 3d party repos and console, etc. etc. etc. and you're talking about VFIO gaming which I'm now hearing about for the first time in my life? Woah, you need to slow down as you're overestimating the mental abilities of 99.9% of people out there.
    OT: As you recently have stated you have decades of computer experience I'd like to ask your permission to ask you a personal question: what exactly is your area of expertise? Please don't taks offence in this, I just want to wrap my head around how to weight which posts.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      A few changes I would like to see in the Steam Survey:

- Introduce "Other" CPU manufacturer for ARM
      - Add an "AMD CPU Speeds" metric or change the "Intel CPU Speeds" metric to be vendor-neutral (it's not like Intel has a monopoly)
      - Change "Physical CPUs" by "Number of cores/threads" (one core != one CPU)
      - Fix the "Microphones" metric (detect whether a microphone is connected and enabled instead of detecting whether there is a microphone jack)
      - Fix the "Total Hard Drive Space" metric. It doesn't track 2TB/4TB drives but the other metric does?!
      - Absolutely fix the "Network Speed" metric. We are on the gigabit era (plus the metric does not detect this appropriately).
      - Remove unnecessary metrics in "Other Settings" (like SSE2/SSE3).
      Not sure why they'd need to add ARM CPUs, Steam doesn't support them. Sure, Steam Link does, but you still would need the Steam Client running on an x86 platform.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

Not sure why they'd need to add ARM CPUs, Steam doesn't support them. Sure, Steam Link does, but you still would need the Steam Client running on an x86 platform.
        Does it not run for certain? I saw Feral say that their recent release Total War Rome Remastered would not run on M1 natively due to Steam issues, but that would be changing. They told the customer to use Rosetta in the meantime.

If Steam can run on ARM, even through emulation, I see that as the same idea as with Wine: Valve should count the actual hardware/OS running the game. Or POWER, RISC-V, or whatever other hardware people might get to work in future. Steam's reporting on that is just legacy, as with most of Tildearrow's list. I expect they'll catch up, and Apple will be the reason when it comes to ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

The same site has things to say about Windows 10 too:

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html
          I'll tell you a secret, it's my website I'm not a fanatic of any OS and, yes, Windows has a ton of issues but it mostly works and it has stellar backwards compatibility. Linux on the desktop is finicky as hell and its backwards compatibility is a bloody joke. It's not there even for open source applications (something open source fans really relish). Good luck compiling and running directly KDE 1.0/2.0 applications in your modern Linux distro. Not only the code will not compile, you'll have troubles finding and making work old libraries or even using older APIs because they were deprecated a long time ago.
          Last edited by birdie; 02 May 2021, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Linux is already not easy to get into considering the sheer amount of distos, DEs, ways to setup GRUB, the need to use 3d party repos and console, etc. etc. etc. and you're talking about VFIO gaming which I'm now hearing about for the first time in my life? Woah, you need to slow down as you're overestimating the mental abilities of 99.9% of people out there.

Why would people expose themselves to this madness which in the end gives them ... Windows which works great on raw hardware? What's the poing of having Linux installed in the first place and then do a mental gymnastics trying to juggle around your free space? And then you have to deal with compatibility issues which still arise from using a VM, not to mention a performance loss and a significant lag increase.

What you're talking about is the definition of nerdiness or insanity - it's up to you to decide.
            VFIO gaming is just a nice way to say GPU pass through (or any other I/O device really). and if you can install and maintain a linux distro, even ubuntu. passthough VM for gaming isn't hard at all, it only takes a couple of minutes to setup properly, in which case, performance loss is about 5% or so, and the latency increase won't be noticed for the vast majority of people.

VM gaming is more convenient than dualboot too. and it (was, as I said, now that anticheat are blocking VMs, this point is moot) great for people who wanted to play their online games, but wanted primarily to game on linux. cause it feels really stupid when you need to do a couple of minutes of banking, but need to do two reboot cycles just to do so. then restart the game (one example, im sure there are plenty more)

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

Does it not run for certain? I saw Feral say that their recent release Total War Rome Remastered would not run on M1 natively due to Steam issues, but that would be changing. They told the customer to use Rosetta in the meantime.

If Steam can run on ARM, even through emulation, I see that as the same idea as with Wine: Valve should count the actual hardware/OS running the game. Or POWER, RISC-V, or whatever other hardware people might get to work in future. Steam's reporting on that is just legacy, as with most of Tildearrow's list. I expect they'll catch up, and Apple will be the reason when it comes to ARM.
              Ha! Steam hasn't even been updated to a 64bit client. I doubt it'll ever be ported to ARM, especially as Apple seems to be very Anti-gaming outside of iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                VM gaming is more convenient than dualboot too. and it (was, as I said, now that anticheat are blocking VMs, this point is moot) great for people who wanted to play their online games, but wanted primarily to game on linux. cause it feels really stupid when you need to do a couple of minutes of banking, but need to do two reboot cycles just to do so. then restart the game (one example, im sure there are plenty more)
                Why can't you just mask the VM such that the guest is not aware that it is running in a VM?
                It worked with Nvidia for years..

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
                  OT: As you recently have stated you have decades of computer experience I'd like to ask your permission to ask you a personal question: what exactly is your area of expertise? Please don't taks offence in this, I just want to wrap my head around how to weight which posts.
                  birdie 's expertise is Intel shill, Nvidia shill, Microsoft shill, and getting (temporarily) banned from phoronix; not necessarily in that order...

Comment

lol....
                    Last edited by Hash; 02 May 2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Why can't you just mask the VM such that the guest is not aware that it is running in a VM?
                      It worked with Nvidia for years..
                      Code 43 was not , contrary to popular belief a "drm" method. Code 43 was done to drill home the point that VM's are not a supported usecase, and if it bricks it, dont expect support. if nvidia wanted to actively block the usecase, it would be a lot more annoying to deal with.

Reason 1.
                      actually hiding the fact that a VM is a VM comes with some serious performance ramifications, and is actually time consuming to do, sometimes needing a recompile of the kernel.
                      Reason 2.
                      If you get caught trying to bypass the VM block, you get banned. and thats not exactly a risk many are willing to take.

Comment

Working...
                      X