Steam on Linux Gaming Marketshare Steady For April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

What I'd like to see from some linux distro is - layered structure where user can interchange each layer to their own needs.
    Layers like:
    1. Kernel
    2. Drivers
    3. Base OS (including UI env)
    4. User's software

Right now most popular distroes tied everything to distro release. And if you want something new, you need to upgrade. Flatpak introduction somethat solves layer 4. Or user can just install that they need into their home dir and be done.
    But it still leave you without ability to update your UI env, kernel and drivers separately from each other.

Don't get me wrong Linux distroes as they are an excelent server, and very good task oriented workstation. But it is very mediocry end user desktop IMHO.
    I'd say it's quite hard to separate the first two layers, especially on Linux, 3 and 4 on the other hand should be completely replaceable.
    I agree that the classic release based approach is not the best for the desktop and there are many different takes on a less rigid upgrade path.
    While Linux as a desktop os is undeniably worse than Windows and Mac os, it's not that much worse per se. Also it's way better on many things.
    IMHO it's the lack of certain apps that cripples Linux on the desktop. Apps that there's no interest in porting, because they already have their market and a porting would cost more than it would earn.
    Of course that doesn't concern the vast majority of the Linux community either, because usually the lack of interest is reciprocated

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I am certainly not a fan of Windows in its default state but I've found solutions to make it near 100% rock solid, for instance, I extensively use SandBoxie+ which allows to install and delete applications without a trace. I even sometimes run malware under it for fun (it's near 100% safe). Yes, Microsoft sometimes releases updates which break stuff but normally fewer than 1% of users are affected and then those users have a ton of software/drivers installed, so naturally Microsoft cannot test all the permutations of their changes in regard to what users are running. There are utilities like e.g. DriverStoreExplorer which allow to safely delete old versions of drivers.

And Windows 10 LTSC is just a joy to use: no Microsoft store or worthless crap related to it, telemetry which you can disable pretty much completely, quite calm updates which don't break stuff unlike the standard Windows 10 which sees major updates/reinstallations each six months.

And then there are tons of free, fast and useful utilities, like e.g. IrfanView which I even use in Linux instead of all brain-damaged half-assed Linux image viewers. Far File Manager is miles ahead (faster, a lot more features, proper code highlighting using Colorer) of Midnight Commander.
      It's fun because 1% in Windows numbers is probably still more than the double digit percentage in Linux numbers.
      However in my experience Windows 10 updates have been excellent.

OTOH I won't use LTSC, because I think Microsoft new approach is way better for desktops than fixed releases.

Tons of free, fast, and useful utilities are available for every OS, usually for all of them. BTW IrfanView runs perfectly on Wine. I don't like it though, I prefer Gwenview and FastStone Image Viewer, but de gustibus non est disputandum...

As I won't discuss your choice of a file manager, because I don't have enough beard to argue about that

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

The difference is that 32bit will work on 64bit, arm will not, also there is a market to sell the games to, but their is not platform to sell them from, aside from itch... and there are games being made for arm that can be sold. but I already said why emulation is NOT the answer, it's a stop gap. also as I said, we have two upcoming methods for emulating 64bit through wine. it's a matter of time on that front.

Also if you really think that about windows S, then you need to re-evaluate it, Windows S is a god send for system admins. as someone who works daily with people, Windows S has been such a time and hassle saver. I'm more worried about stupid people doing stupid things, more than bad actors in an appstore. no more GPO editing, and no more stupid people borking things in stupid ways.
        Really? That's why Microsoft sells it on cheap (I'm talking 300 dollars) laptops at Walmart and not systems they sell to Enterprises? Sure your small companies might actually really like cheap laptops with Windows S for locking down their users. I could see that. I'm betting any of the people that use the laptops where I work would be irritated if they couldn't install some tools they use for their job because they aren't in the Windows App Store... Granted, the IT department do install some software on the laptops that turn a high end laptop into something that feels like it is using spindle drives... but that's neither here nor there...

Windows S is really an attempt at locking down what can be ran on the system. You can do that with group policies too, sure it may be more complicated... but seriously, that isn't the intent of MS...

Comment

Working...
        X