Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated FUTEX2 System Call Patches Posted For Helping Wine/Proton, Other Use-Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cybmax
    replied
    PS. Before you go "bleeding edge" and pull the v3 patches from gitlab...

- This API change will break the glibc[4] and Proton[5] ports for now.
    Guess it will need some tweaked wine/proton patches before v3 is up to speed.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Ah good, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try AC Origins on Linux then.
    Origins works very smoothly. Have done a complete playthrough (+all story DLCs) 70h+ and no issues so far.

With Origins and Odyssey I have never had issues.
    Syndicate is stuttering and (is)/was also picky with Wayland and X. Unity tend to stutter depends on the wine/proton version.
    III, Black Flag, Rouge are working also well.
    AC III Remastered has an issues with liberation - black screen but old Liberation HD works also nicely
    Not much playtime on these:
    AC Liberation HD seems to work
    AC II /Bloodlines works was stuttering with older proton wine versions (<6.0 AFAIR)
    AC I Works

remark: All the AC's are started via Lutris/ Uplay no steam involved. I have extracted the wine-build from the proton build.
    DXVK in this case is compiled saparately - I really recommend the latest 1.8.1 Version.

use this docker image to build dxvk x86/x86_64 system independend. Native compilation often screws my lib dependenciess.
    One might update the ubuntu/debian version of the docker image to a more recent one before

I tried using DXVK on Windows, it yielded a big boost in performance over AMDs Direct3D 11 driver.
    Nice have to try it
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 30 April 2021, 10:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

TBH I havent had the focus on it. Usually I play singleplayer games so Anti Cheat Engine crossed only one time my eyes on Linux Watch Dogs 2 back in proton-5.xyz I had to pass deaktivation of the wd anticheat engine of WD2. Havent tested it with never proton-6.5 etc yet.

AFAIK Resident Evil 7 uses Denuvo? Which works fine over proton-ge-6.1 till 6.5-ge-2 and steam. If you can point me to a list of games with Denuvo Anticheat, drm xyz B$ then I can check if I have a game on the List and what my experiences are.

But upfront the moste AC's work very nice III. Black Flag, Rouge, Odyssay, Origin, Unity: Syndicate is prone to stutter...havent checked it since proton-ge-5?

Watchdogs 1 and 2 are working very good now.

Cheers

My system config Ryzen3600XT+Radeon5700XT
    PopOS 20.10 (Gnome-Wayland)
    mesa driver and libdrm(git pull daily) lto,o3,znver2;
    always latest stable/edge Kernel Xanmod (Cacule-flavor) compiled with znver,o3; atm 5.12
    proton-ge-6.5-GE-2 (wine dxvk and vkd3d - partially lto, o3, znver2 builds)
    netext-gcc-10.3.0
    netext-binutils-2.36.1
    Ah good, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try AC Origins on Linux then.

I tried using DXVK on Windows, it yielded a big boost in performance over AMDs Direct3D 11 driver.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied

What about the Denuvo DRM thing, does that cause problems when attempting to run the game under Linux? Or does it just work?
    TBH I havent had the focus on it. Usually I play singleplayer games so Anti Cheat Engine crossed only one time my eyes on Linux Watch Dogs 2 Back in proton-5.xyz I had to pass deaktivation of the wd anticheat on startup. Havent tested it with newer proton-6.5 etc yet.

AFAIK Resident Evil 7 uses Denuvo? Which works fine over proton-ge-6.1 till 6.5-ge-2 and steam. If you can point me to a list of games with Denuvo Anticheat, drm xyz B$ then I can check if I have a game on the List and what my experiences are.

But upfront the moste AC's work very nice III. Black Flag, Rouge, Odyssay, Origin, Unity: Syndicate is prone to stutter...havent checked it since proton-ge-5?

Watchdogs 1 and 2 are working very good now.

Cheers

My system config Ryzen3600XT+Radeon5700XT
    PopOS 20.10 (Gnome-Wayland)
    mesa driver and libdrm(git pull daily) lto,o3,znver2;
    always latest stable/edge Kernel Xanmod (Cacule-flavor) compiled with znver,o3; atm 5.12
    proton-ge-6.5-GE-2 (wine dxvk and vkd3d - partially lto, o3, znver2 builds)
    netext-gcc-10.3.0
    netext-binutils-2.36.1
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 30 April 2021, 10:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    I'm using these patches since a while via xanmod kernel + proton-ge-6.5 there are for sure performance uplifts. e.g. AC:Origin benchmark has way less stutter on ultra settings.
    What about the Denuvo DRM thing, does that cause problems when attempting to run the game under Linux? Or does it just work?

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by Leopard View Post

What do you exactly expect here or did you just missed this part?
    For a brand new syscall with improvements in functionality to the original futex I expected a bit more. But I've noticed a nice performance boost in my standard benchmark (Company of Heroes 2) from around 76 to 85 fps (with Proton Experimental, Xanmod Kernel and other tweaks). That is very close to the Windows 10 performance on the same hardware (88 fps) - in fact the best performance I have seen to date under Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Tim4
    replied
    Originally posted by MastaG View Post
    I wish there was a copr repository for Fedora with these patches.
    Building futex2 patch v3 currently in COPR: copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/atim/kernel-futex.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    I still don't understand why You think that NOT activating full kernel preemption (PREEMPT) should be beneficial for gaming, when even Google is using a Linux kernel similar to Ubuntu's "lowlatency" config with their Stadia service.
    I don't know, but I'd hazard an opinion that disabling preemption enables computations to complete a little sooner, which allows frames to get sent to the GPU sooner. So, it could benefit average framerates, with an even bigger impact on jitter and 99th percentile framerates.

As long as no idiots are doing userspace spinlocks, it should be a win. I wouldn't go as far as completely disabling preemption, though. Probably 10 Hz is a good compromise.

As for why Google is using lowlatency, see the above link.
    Last edited by coder; 29 April 2021, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by ext73 View Post
    Futex2 v3 + Multigenerational LRU working great under optimized kernels

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/scodlj5ot...SE3KUDqCa?dl=0
    I still don't understand why You think that NOT activating full kernel preemption (PREEMPT) should be beneficial for gaming, when even Google is using a Linux kernel similar to Ubuntu's "lowlatency" config with their Stadia service.

Also, for optimal latency, it's best to always prefer the "BFQ" IO-scheduler, even on a NVMe SSD.
    See here for results:

And simply disabling all CPU mitigations will of course provide better gaming performance than the default of "mitigations=auto"; the real trick here is to provide a great gaming experience while still retaining the security benefit of Linux.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Have you tried AsciiDoc? (AsciiDoctor is the most popular modern implementation) It's a Markdown-like lightweight markup system specifically designed to have a 1-to-1 mapping to DocBook XML.
    Thanks. I'll keep it in mind, but hand-editing Dockbook never really bothered me. Depends on your editor, somewhat, but not much different than hand editing HTML.

I do like that I can use entity references, in XML. Not sure if they have an equivalent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X