SuperTuxKart 1.2 Brings Better Gamepad Support, Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leipero View Post
    ssokolow I generally agree with what you wrote in the first comment (seems like valid and constructive criticism), however, you should consider the fact that "sane" default controls are quite subjective really.
    Let me give you an example, I have no clue how can anyone play with A=accelerate X=brake on XBOX controller type layout, for me, that's insane..., B=brake makes much more sense, why? Because I can use one finger much quicker and easier, by holding thumb between buttons (leaning 1/3 towards accelerate), basically, using that technique you get much quicker response in comparison to using tip of the thumb.
    Note that, despite how much fatigue made my phrasing slip, I only used the word "sane" to make a judgement on the behaviour of the difficulty selector, which I did as the last thing I said. (ie. I was reacting to the list of complaints as a whole when I slipped and used the word "sane".)

The rest is about letting the defaults match the convention established by other games of the genre. (Standard practice for UI/UX design. Make it as configurable as you want, but let the defaults match the platform or genre convention so new arrivals can sit down and find something as familiar as possible.)

To put it another way, you don't want potential new users struggling to get familiar with the controls when they should be forming a first impression of the content.
    Last edited by ssokolow; 29 August 2020, 05:57 AM.

Comment

ssokolow I understand that, in general I agree, just saying that defaults commonly used by games do not seem very sane to me personally, so it's kinda subjective. But, at the end, it's unlikley that input defaults would be changed globally to fit my own prefference, so what you said makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        No anime characters though. Maybe there should be modding support to add those.
        Eh, SuperTuxKart supports mods (called "Add-ons"), and it has done so for years already...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Now if we could only get a Vulkan backend, and some carts driven by cute anime characters...
          Go to the Add-ons section and install your favorite anime character with one click. If there is none, create your own (it's really simple) or ask someone to do it for you.

Comment

Haha, no but a UI that feels fresh and modern with beautiful, modern icons and subtle, sleek animations. LibreOffice is rather boring, compared to Microsoft Office which is much more fun and pleasant to use. I haven't used Apple iWork but I can imagine it being more fun than LibreOffice too.
            If you want to try Apple iWork, install Calligra Office. It's the closest you'll get to experiencing iWork on Linux.

But seriously, is there anything you don't find boring? If everything bores you, then you might as well find a new hobby...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Eh, SuperTuxKart supports mods (called "Add-ons"), and it has done so for years already...
              Cool. I did know that. Then clearly someone just needs to implement anime character mods.

Unless, of course, there are already some good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post

Sorry, but what are you talking about? Are you playing on Smartphone or under Windows? Or did you have forgotten to update STK since last decade?
                STK runs really fast in 1080p on an old, mitigated-to-death Intel Hasswell with a TDP of 45 W and iGPU ... it is among the fastest and most polished games ...
                But of cause on current HW it is very fast using 4k ...
                And this is a game for local multiplayer - so boring is the absolute opposite of that game.
                Maybe you should look how real gamer use this gem before writing such trash.
                Not just local multiplayer: you can play online too

But I agree with what you said: it's super fast for me with high settings on Intel-only hardware (iGPU isn't even great hardware, so go figure) and has done so for years now and it looks crisp to me. It's very fun to play, there are various modes, local multiplayer, online multiplayer... a gem indeed It's been one of my favorite games for years now

But uid313 is never satisfied. Just read all of his other posts in other threads: he always finds something to complain about and everything besides Windows and Microsoft products is boring, outdated and whatnot to him.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
                  SuperTuxKart contributor here, ready to answer y'alls questions!

I definitely feel Kiki qualifies as a cute anime character, especially with 1.2's revamp. (Also there's Konqi)
                  Benau has repeatedly talked about a Vulkan backend, so we should definitely see one eventually.
                  Thanks, I tried Kiki but its pretty ugly, she has pale white #ffffff skin with pale white hair, it looks awful.
                  There needs to be some cute character with hair color different from skin tone, and who doesn't look pale like casper the ghost or some undead.

I look forward to the Vulkan backend and hope to see it soon. The game runs fast (70 fps) for me on lowest settings but then when settings are ramped up it gets slow (20 fps) on my Intel Core i7 4770K with integrated graphics.

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
                  Have you tried the new Cartoon skin in STK 1.2? LCP and I worked hard on it, should definitely feel nicer. (Also LibreOffice is an office suite, I'm pretty sure they're meant to be boring lol.)
                  Thanks again. Tried it and its a bit more pleasant I think. Perhaps the best skin so far. Its rather weird that this game has all these useless settings to be able to pick a skin, like who cares, no other game lets you pick a skin for the user interface, its silly, its better to just have a good default one.

Comment

LibreOffice is rather boring, compared to Microsoft Office which is much more fun and pleasant to use.
                    "Fun" is a strange way to describe an office suite. I must be doing something wrong. It just feels like work to me.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

"Fun" is a strange way to describe an office suite. I must be doing something wrong. It just feels like work to me.
                      Well, its like doing work with a dull knife with an uncomfortable handle versus a sharp knife with a ergonomic handle.

Comment

Working...
                      X