Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Kernel Patch Is Being Discussed That's Needed For Newer Windows Games On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryao View Post

The wine developers themselves value cross platform portability.
    So they should help bsd to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
      So they should help bsd to catch up.
      Its not that straight forwards. Wine project itself is massively under resourced for what they need to-do as well. This kernel patch for Linux is really replicating what freebsd has already in a slightly different way that may turn out better to be taken to freebsd in future.

Comment

Which ones? I have only heard of Denuvo DRM doing it. Anticheat isn't said to do this.
        I am not entirely sure. I know i have seen it in the past, but it was too long ago.

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post

So they're applying hacks by bypassing official APIs and depending on low-level system calls instead. If history is any indication, this will not only cause problems with WINE on Linux, but also once people have upgraded to newer Windows versions, which would cause problems with older software written like this.

It's typical how it's mostly DRM and anti-cheating software that relies on such shenanigans. All examples of pointless client-side security.
        Be that as it may, but this is the world we live in. We can take a moral high ground and have linux be as useful as GNU/Hurd, or we can adapt to current reality even if we do not like it.

Comment

they do but they aren't just going to let wine have a missing feature solely because they are able to implement it only on specific platforms

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
            Can't they intercept the call when the executable is loaded and change it to a normal call?
            in general - no. code could be generated at runtime, or jumped to different offsets.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              More linuxisms in wine is not a good thing.
              for linux users it's good. for marginals it's their self-inflicted pain
              Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              Wine already doesn't work on OpenBSD, has problems on NetBSD, fortunately the FreeBSD support is still quite serviceable for the 32bit apps I need to run but I don't see this change getting ported to FreeBSD anytime soon so more modern games that won't run on FreeBSD. Right now the best solution seems to be a ZFS FreeBSD solution for actual work and a separate SSD with WIndows 10 installed for games.
              lol, i see correlation between addiction to windows and freebsd. real men just use linux for everything

Comment

Originally posted by Echo 8 View Post
                From WineHQ front page:
                it doesn't say wine should break linux to the level of freebsd

Comment

subj doesn't make wine non-portable

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it doesn't say wine should break linux to the level of freebsd
                    Where did I say anything like that?

I just pointed out to the people going "%*(@ BSD, only Linux matters" that the Wine project's mission statement disagrees with them. It's like they forgot why wine exists at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      subj doesn't make wine non-portable
                      It does not, but when they are rejecting things like gallium 9 because it is not portable, you don't expect them to do many Linux specific things.

Comment

Working...
                      X