Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Sponsored The Godot Game Engine To Port Their Editor As An HTML5 Web App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Sponsored The Godot Game Engine To Port Their Editor As An HTML5 Web App

Phoronix: Mozilla Sponsored The Godot Game Engine To Port Their Editor As An HTML5 Web App

While we have been eager for Godot 4.0 as the open-source game engine update bringing big renderer improvements and initial Vulkan support, it also turns out there will be a new offering on the editor front.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This makes a lot of sense since WebAssembly is also an output target for Godot. It will be a good test to see how well (speed and robustness) the browser and WebAssembly implementation performs by running the editor. In the past we have seen huge tests with Unigine running via asm.js. but no game editors yet AFAIK.

Godot's small size also helps in this regard. Loving the philosophies that the devs are using and the orgin of the name. Mozilla is has sponsored so many awesome projects that are innovating.

Comment

Not written in Rust?

I am semi-serious. Obviously you cannot rewrite a game engine in Rust on a whim ( it is a lot of work ). But we are talking about Mozilla sponsoring the job...

Also, I am currently studying Rust, and I am uber impressed. I don't understand why a lot of people whine about it. Yes it is difficult to grasp its programming model. But its point is exactly this. You cannot write good software, without good practices. So yes, I am impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
        Not written in Rust?

I am semi-serious. Obviously you cannot rewrite a game engine in Rust on a whim ( it is a lot of work ). But we are talking about Mozilla sponsoring the job...

Also, I am currently studying Rust, and I am uber impressed. I don't understand why a lot of people whine about it. Yes it is difficult to grasp its programming model. But its point is exactly this. You cannot write good software, without good practices. So yes, I am impressed.
        Well, go ahead and start! I don't know how excited people are to add yet another build system to Godot though.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Well, go ahead and start! I don't know how excited people are to add yet another build system to Godot though.
          It wouldn't be a port or a fork, but a totally new project. Also, I wasn't talking about Godot specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

It wouldn't be a port or a fork, but a totally new project. Also, I wasn't talking about Godot specifically.
            There are efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Rust is already available for end-user projects via GDNative. Just pointing out that the bits and pieces of the yet another build system are already there should they choose to port parts or all to Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                This makes a lot of sense since WebAssembly is also an output target for Godot. It will be a good test to see how well (speed and robustness) the browser and WebAssembly implementation performs by running the editor.
                I've typically had poor WebGL experiences on linux whereas WebGL apparently performs much better on Windows, despite afaik Linux having HW accel for WebGL on Firefox/Chrome? Haven't tried Wayland, where Firefox got an improvement since v74 iirc, only tried on X11 with a quad core nvidia system, and a dual core intel gpu system.

Comment

How will standard tools interact with this? For example Git, Doxygen, native compilers (required to bind middleware to Godot's DSL).

This is probably not going to be ported to Wasm, leaving Godot on the web pretty much a toy surely?

Would a simple VNC connection to a VM running "proper" software not be a far more flexible solution? At the very least I could `grep` the source code properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    This makes a lot of sense since WebAssembly is also an output target for Godot. It will be a good test to see how well (speed and robustness) the browser and WebAssembly implementation performs by running the editor. In the past we have seen huge tests with Unigine running via asm.js. but no game editors yet AFAIK.

Godot's small size also helps in this regard. Loving the philosophies that the devs are using and the orgin of the name. Mozilla is has sponsored so many awesome projects that are innovating.
                    there's already an operating system you know.

Comment

Working...
                    X