Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Games Preparing Unreal Engine 5 For Debut In 2021 With Increased Photo-Realism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    I'm sure PCI-E 4.0 NVMe SSDs are currently hitting speeds in the range of 4.5GB/s, and PCI-E 3.0 NMVe SSDs are in excess of 3GB/s, so the PS5 SSD isn't that much faster. Samsung announced recently that they have an SSD capable of 8GB/s - the PM1733.

Sure, the PS5 is ten times faster than SATA SSDs... but NVMe has been a thing for a while now.
    It's not a like-for-like comparison. I suggest you look at Mark Cerny's technical presentation on PS5, he goes into some depth into the PS5's storage solution. Specifically, how they've addressed bottlenecks around data transmission, compression and decompression. It's not just about making the storage media faster. I do recommend you start the vid before the time marker I put above, it's pretty interesting stuff especially on what it allows game developers to do with game design.
    Last edited by royce; 14 May 2020, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Very, very cool tech, but I fail to see how this is Linux news?

I can't find any evidence at all that UE5 will compile games for Linux.

If you've found it, please link!

Comment

Originally posted by Ilfirin View Post
        1) Just a demo. Remember Watchdogs?
        2) Physics and game look all the same as PS4, even PS3 games. Just more detailed textures and much more bloody hardware requirements.

What are all talking about?
        what i have understood so far, from reviews from people familiar with 3d graphics production, is:

- you make one model with high detail and engine takes care of LOD reduction
        - no baked in lightmaps anymore.
        - very realistic lighting system
        - abiility to push in very high def materials and models while maintaining performance
        animation system that allegedly generates more natural animation, that is in sync with the terrain (the typical problem of seeing how characters put their feet on stairs in games)
        - pretty complex physics that do not need to be precalculated.
        - ability to present huge areas with plenty of detail

this is mostly in line with what PS5 is supposed to offer - very fast storage that can stream in vast amouns of data quickly. people already speculate that this tech demo (assuming it was no animation) is likely to be huge on-disk.

Comment

All this effort and the character doesn't climb stairs correctly, it just walks through it 😂🤣

Joking aside, it really looks like a movie in a "cheaper" hardware 🤤

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
            It's not a like-for-like comparison. I suggest you look at Mark Cerny's technical presentation on PS5, he goes into some depth into the PS5's storage solution. Specifically, how they've addressed bottlenecks around data transmission, compression and decompression. It's not just about making the storage media faster. I do recommend you start the vid before the time marker I put above, it's pretty interesting stuff especially on what it allows game developers to do with game design.
            This guy is somehow creepy. Sorry for the OT. But it gives me chills.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

This guy is somehow creepy. Sorry for the OT. But it gives me chills.
              Don't really know about him, but I thought he gave a very good talk. Technical without ever being condescending. The man knows how to talk to an audience.

Comment

Some excellent breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIDzZJpDlpA . Generally users likely only will care for the result, but this is really a huge leap for devs.
                This and procedual generation will define next gen imho. ( see: https://youtu.be/ToCozpl1sYY?t=1091 )

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                  First, thanks for the video link. I skimmed through it, will watch in more detail later.

My comment was directly in response to the statement by mdedetrich that "...can achieve speeds of up to ~5.5 gigabytes a second. This is around 10 times faster than the fastest SSD's right now for PC's" - which given PCI-E 3.0, PCI-E 4.0 and Optane SSDs is observably untrue.

If it's not valid to perform a comparison between drives which have similar read/write speeds (I won't even start with Optane and latency etc) then it's not a valid comparison to say that the PS5's SSD is "10 times faster than the fastest SSDs right now". Otherwise the validity of comparisons between SATA and NVMe drives are not "like-for-like"... nor between Optane and NVMe, or Optane and SATA, etc. Even in those slides in the Cerny talk, a section highlights the raw speeds of PCI-E 3.0 and PCI-E 4.0 when compared to the PS5 SSD. Of course there are other factors, otherwise Optane wouldn't possess the advantages it does over traditional SSDs.

Your argument would appear to imply comparison of any sort is pointless, because things are different.

On another note, I really wish Sony would actually try to get PS3 backwards compatibility working. PS4 backwards compatibility is hardly shocking, considering that the PlayStation 4/Pro/5 are basically just custom PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                    Your argument would appear to imply comparison of any sort is pointless, because things are different.
                    Ah, that's not what I meant. What I meant is that the raw transmission speed of the storage module itself is only part of the question since there's extra dedicated hardware to remove all of the bottlenecks around data transmission which is not something you're going to find on PC components at the moment.

Comment

All that negativity here makes me cringe.

I for one found the demo quite astounding. But yeah it's always easy to criticize other peoples hard work...

Comment

Working...
                      X