Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam's December Numbers Point To A Lower Linux Marketshare But With More Oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this be because Proton runs wine in win7 by default?

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
      Could this be because Proton runs wine in win7 by default?
      Its Steam statistics, not Proton. You need to use Steam to use Proton. So that would be a no.

Comment

Imagine being only 0.XX % of the market but still being essential to computing and planetary plus space operations.

Every month I feel like this is a pointless dick measuring competition and somehow "More Dumb Masses" is supposed to be equivalent with "Better".

Granted I would love Linux to get 10% but for that to happen we need a big Linux company like Ubuntu to setup a California office, get in the circles and clicks with Microsoft and eat their lunch by pre-bundling with multiple manufacturers.

The only other case where I could see market penetration would be The 2020 Valve SteamBox on shelves in Brick & Mortar Stores at least for 5 years to "katamari users"

Comment

So I'm not allowed to edit my "Unapproved Comment"

Edit: Michael, could you reprogram the forums to maybe not throw comments into moderation que based on certain variables? My account is like 7 years old and has nearly a 1,000 comments -- just a suggestion.

Comment

Do you realize that for most of the western world, Christmas holidays start around the 20th of the month and last until the 2nd week of January. During December, people are looking at how they divide their time and money. Shopping for the family takes time away from gaming. And then, that next bit of gaming money, do you use it or gift it away?

Steams numbers will return for January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              So I'm not allowed to edit my "Unapproved Comment"

Edit: Michael, could you reprogram the forums to maybe not throw comments into moderation que based on certain variables? My account is like 7 years old and has nearly a 1,000 comments -- just a suggestion.
              The way commenting works sometimes around the net is

Its better than the worst so that's something lol.

I'm editing this and there's no unapproved so maybe a recent comment triggered it or they like to annoy you.

Comment

There are several issues that Steam has with the hardware survey that make me take the data with a grain of salt. For starters:
                1. I've never seen a survey box pop up on a Linux machine. I have used Linux for quite a while (years?) as my main operating system and it has never popped up. I am also a heavy gamer. I have over a thousand games and tens of thousands of hours of gameplay logged.
                2. I've noticed that on my Windows machine, the survey pops up very frequently. I don't even game on my Windows machine, it's installed in case a friend stops by and wants to game. My wife also rarely games.
                3. Steam's method for measuring Linux marketshare for games is flawed. If I buy the game and play it for say, 10 hours on Windows, and then play a thousand hours on Linux, it's still counted as a 'Windows' buy.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
                  There are several issues that Steam has with the hardware survey that make me take the data with a grain of salt. For starters:
                  1. I've never seen a survey box pop up on a Linux machine. I have used Linux for quite a while (years?) as my main operating system and it has never popped up. I am also a heavy gamer. I have over a thousand games and tens of thousands of hours of gameplay logged.
                  2. I've noticed that on my Windows machine, the survey pops up very frequently. I don't even game on my Windows machine, it's installed in case a friend stops by and wants to game. My wife also rarely games.
                  3. Steam's method for measuring Linux marketshare for games is flawed. If I buy the game and play it for say, 10 hours on Windows, and then play a thousand hours on Linux, it's still counted as a 'Windows' buy.
                  For starters you took a sample of one, extrapolated it and decided Steam stats are flawed. Maybe it's high time to go earn some degree or at least learn a bit of calculus, statistics, probability and other related disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

For starters you took a sample of one, extrapolated it and decided Steam stats are flawed. Maybe it's high time to go earn some degree or at least learn a bit of calculus, statistics, probability and other related disciplines.
                    Maybe you should go get a degree yourself and stop trolling others on a random website for their opinions.

Comment

I got rid of my Windows partition when Proton entered its beta and gotten the survey twice since.

Just to put your concerns on context I see a lot of people challenging its numbers for the same reason except it is a Nvidia vs AMD fight and they're equally wrong. People is struck by lightning even if you've never been. Then you think you know the chances of being struck by one and you are completely off.

If anything, this article should be updated with the info that birdie provided and leave the unfounded suspicions and bad blood behind if we don't have the whole picture.

Comment

Working...
                      X