Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam's December Numbers Point To A Lower Linux Marketshare But With More Oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's December Numbers Point To A Lower Linux Marketshare But With More Oddities

Phoronix: Steam's December Numbers Point To A Lower Linux Marketshare But With More Oddities

I refrained from writing about Valve's Steam Survey numbers at the start of January when they were posted for December as the numbers didn't seem up to scratch. But half-way through the month now, the same numbers are up with no edits by Valve, as we've seen in some months when they refine their measurements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last month results should be dismissed with prejudice - there are just too many inconsistencies and unusual spikes, e.g. the ages old GTX 1060 adding 5.66% to its market share.

Let's get back to the list at the beginning of February 2020.

Edit: I've pinned it down to a large chunk of Chinese users starting using Steam:

Simplified Chinese 37.87% +14.43%

Looks like the Communist Party allowed the Chinese to use Steam without any ifs.

Edit 2: Steam China was launched in December. It kinda explains everything:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/steam-chi...dent-of-steam/

This also means that the Chinese don't really enjoy Linux and previous Linux numbers were somewhat inflated and now they reflect the current state of the world better.
    Last edited by birdie; 12 January 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

birdie explained it perfectly.

Comment

Jesus, what are the conclusions in your article?
        Failures due to the winter sale, it is clear to all. Next month, the numbers will recover.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Steam China was launched in December
          Valve know about this?

Comment

Ah china explains it then.

My first idea was that a lot of Linux folk found a game in the winter sale end rebooted into Windows 7 to play

Comment

My games over recent weeks have been Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Life is Strange 2 but both in Big Picture Mode so no survey for me as usual.

Comment

There was a bug fix in the steam beta that was interesting. Not sure about the status in the release client: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/St...53956261271592
                Apparently trying to launch the survey on a Linux client could crash steam.

Comment

I think it is Black Friday, Christmas and new PC sold... with Windows bundled in it...

Comment

I been using steam in linux since before we had a native client.
                    Recently i got asked to participate in survey for the first time ever in linux so it's not like they probe linux users very often.

Comment

Working...
                    X