Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton Re-Based To Wine 4.11, Adds D9VK Direct3D 9, Better CPU Utilization & DXVK 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    does fsync works on all wine version? or it needs a patch to be applied?
    It currently requires patched wine + patched kernel or Proton 4.11 + patched kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      I just went to ProtonDB for the first time because I keep hearing that Elite Dangerous runs on wine now, but I've been unsuccessful with my custom wine installation. So I thought I'd give it a try with Proton.

But ProtonDB seems to simply be a running train of thought for users. There don't appear to be any concise instructions whatsoever.

Am I doing something wrong?
      From what I've read, all you should need is Proton 4.2 with dotnet40 installed in the Elite Dangerous prefix that Proton creates. There's a tool called protontricks that makes adding winetricks stuff to Proton prefixes very easy.

The basic instructions should be to:
      1. Wipe the ED Proton prefix you may have -- $PATH_TO_STEAM_GAMES/steamapps/compatdata/$ED's Number
      2. Right Click it in the Steam Launcher, Select Proprieties, Check the "Force the use..." button, Select Proton 4.2-9"
      3. Start Elite Dangerous so a new Proton 4.2-9 prefix is created
      4. Backout or exit the launcher (I don't have this game, but start it and quit it once the prefix is created)
      5. run "protontricks --gui"
      6. Select Elite Dangerous from the list, Click OK on the next Screen (default prefix), Select Install Windows DLL or Component, Scroll down to dotnet40, select it, click OK
      7. Hopefully Profit.
      Worse comes to worse, replace Proton 4.2-9 with Proton 4.11-1. I haven't have very much luck with 4.11-1 yet.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 31 July 2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

A "quarter of a century" later, Wine is still a work in progress. If Wine solved all these problems, Proton and DXVK wouldn't even exist.

Not to mention that a big part of a Proton upgrade is also a Wine version upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

From what I've read, all you should need is Proton 4.2 with dotnet40 installed in the Elite Dangerous prefix that Proton creates. There's a tool called protontricks that makes adding winetricks stuff to Proton prefixes very easy.

The basic instructions should be to:
          1. Wipe the ED Proton prefix you may have -- $PATH_TO_STEAM_GAMES/steamapps/compatdata/$ED's Number
          2. Right Click it in the Steam Launcher, Select Proprieties, Check the "Force the use..." button, Select Proton 4.2-9"
          3. Start Elite Dangerous so a new Proton 4.2-9 prefix is created
          4. Backout or exit the launcher (I don't have this game, but start it and quit it once the prefix is created)
          5. run "protontricks --gui"
          6. Select Elite Dangerous from the list, Click OK on the next Screen (default prefix), Select Install Windows DLL or Component, Scroll down to dotnet40, select it, click OK
          7. Hopefully Profit.
          Worse comes to worse, replace Proton 4.2-9 with Proton 4.11-1. I haven't have very much luck with 4.11-1 yet.
          Oh wow!, thank you so much for the instructions!

Edit: I followed your instructions but unfortunately as soon as I try to start Elite Dangerous the warning message about using Proton appears, the screen locks up, and then Steam crashes. I tried it a few times and the new prefix isn't even created, so it appears the crash happens before Steam even tries to do anything, which was odd because it used to at least start before crashing.

So I tried a few games and found Proton doesn't work at all on my system anymore, for both 4.2-9 and 4.11-1. Every game immediately crashes in the same way . In any case, thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll try it again after the next Proton update.
          Last edited by muncrief; 31 July 2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Oh wow!, thank you so much for the instructions!

Edit: I followed your instructions but unfortunately as soon as I try to start Elite Dangerous the warning message about using Proton appears, the screen locks up, and then Steam crashes. I tried it a few times and the new prefix isn't even created, so it appears the crash happens before Steam even tries to do anything, which was odd because it used to at least start before crashing.

So I tried a few games and found Proton doesn't work at all on my system anymore, for both 4.2-9 and 4.11-1. Every game immediately crashes in the same way . In any case, thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll try it again after the next Proton update.
            Damn, that sucks. It sounds like there could be some issue with your Steam install or maybe with your system itself. Every game with Proton shouldn't just crash; that's weird and should be looked into.

Comment

Damn, that sucks. It sounds like there could be some issue with your Steam install or maybe with your system itself. Every game with Proton shouldn't just crash; that's weird and should be looked into.
              Yes, you're probably right. After my post I searched for similar problems expecting to find a lot, but I didn't find any. So my installation must be messed up somehow. I'll have some time tomorrow to do a complete reinstall of Steam and give it a try.

Comment

Yes, you're probably right. After my post I searched for similar problems expecting to find a lot, but I didn't find any. So my installation must be messed up somehow. I'll have some time tomorrow to do a complete reinstall of Steam and give it a try.
                Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
                  A "quarter of a century" later, Wine is still a work in progress. If Wine solved all these problems, Proton and DXVK wouldn't even exist.

Not to mention that a big part of a Proton upgrade is also a Wine version upgrade.
                  You do not need to make wine feature complete to get a substantial majority of games working. The work to support printing, ISDN, digital cameras, ldap, packet capture software, theme support, webcams, multiple monitors, USB (unfinished), etcetera did nothing for games. The support for games that did exist was only for some popular games to help fund Wine development by selling crossover licenses, so getting every game possible to work was never a focus. It is unsurprising progress toward it had been slow.

Now that Valve is funding development for games, support is being implemented at a much more rapid pace. There are even partnerships to make anticheat software used in popular games and wine work well together, which were previously unthinkable. Furthermore, many of the patches in each wine release these days were developed for proton. You can not rely on Wine’s past progress in this area to estimate future progress.
                  Last edited by ryao; 31 July 2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I tried this with Borderlands 2. I've been having to use the Windows version through Proton because the new DLC I wanted to play hasn't been ported, and performance has been a bit crappy.

But with D9VK, performance is as smooth as it used to be when I played it on Windows. We'll have to see how stable it's going to be though.

The only thing is, it needs the 32 bit Vulkan. I think this is the first time I've encountered a 32 bit game that could actually make use of the Vulkan back end. I had to tell things to use the 32 bit Vulkan in the Launch Options of the game as it wouldn't launch at all with the D9VK variable passed.

Code:
                    VK_ICD_FILENAMES="/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json" PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 %command%
                    We'll have to see how stable it's going to be, but so far, so good.
                    Last edited by Grogan; 01 August 2019, 01:35 AM. Reason: Removed non-relevant variable from pasted launch options

Comment

I get that 100%.

I'm currently having nothing but trouble with the latest Proton 4.11 release. My frickin PS4 controller doesn't work with it...or at least work with it and Hitman 2...I gots everything I needs in place for Fsync, Mesa with ACO, got the TKG and Valve Proton 4.11s, and my god damn controller doesn't work...fuck me running...

Problems or not with the newest release, it's still a lot better than the previous method of Lutris and their compatibility profiles or the method before that of scouring Wine bug reports and applying patches at random or the method before that of the games just not really working outside of edge cases.
                      As for your issue with the ps4 controller I believe it's an issue that arises when updating your kernel (Any kernel newer than 4.19 in my experience). The newer kernels suddenly seems to falsely detect some normal devices as joystick devices, (corsair k70 gaming keyboard in my instance), and seems to always priotize those devices over the ds4 when launching games.

To test if this is the case for you use something like jstest (flatpak) and test to see which devices pop up on the kernel where the ps4 controller worked compared to the kernel where it didn't. You should see some additional /dev/input/jsX devices on the non working kernel.

Edit: Commented again and removed link to hopefully get it approved

Comment

Working...
                      X