Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Developers Appear Quite Apprehensive About Ubuntu's Plans To Drop 32-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
    macOS dropped 32bit LONG time ago
    Actually not dropped yet. Only on 10.15, which is currently in beta, 32bit runtime will be removed. On current 10.14 macOS shows a notification smth like "this software is outdated and may work improperly", but software is still able to run.

Comment

Multilib exists and GCC is able to cross compile to 32 bits. I don't see the problem.

Comment

This is the sort of thing that should make 19.10 drop anchor on the issue and say, "not yet, we need to talk about this still"

Comment

Time to give wine a taste of their own medicine. Why should Ubuntu cater to a small edgecase?

Comment

Just drop it. As long as old technology is still supported, people will keep clinging on to it. At some point, you have to just say "No, we are moving forward." Apple is pretty good about this. If not for them, half the web would probably still be running Flash.

Comment

Ouch, it's gonna be a pain in the a** to get those 32 bits GoG games running :-/
              Yet another reason to use Steam But I didn't choose Linux because it was a walled garden !

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                and it is doing MUCH MUCH MUCH better than what you are trying to achieve with linux OS's aka stay in the 80's with your anti UX/UI preferences
                this is a myth I gave my mother which is an old lady, two laptops one with windows 10 and one with Mint Mate. Guess what she preferred? I don't use MacOs, so I don't have a formed opinion on that, but at least we are doing much much better than Windows 10, I can tell you that for sure, Windows 10 is a completely mess everything gets on the way of the user, bloatware, updates, updates and more updates. Despite they did a real effort to slim down and streamline Windows, it's still full of crap, the fact that sometimes the majority of the resources (cpu utilization, ram) are used in a high proportion to spy on you is laughable and maybe criminal. Don't know how that stuff works on MacOS, maybe like android? at least android spies on you but doesn't kill your hardware while doing that. Bloatware and spyware make windows a resource hog, the UI doesn't count if you can't use it. So if you are trying to point out someone stuck in the past then it's windows, I feel like I'm using a pentium 166mhz when in fact is an icore 5.

UI it's not all about shiny icons, and sleek interfaces, it's also about the OS don't getting in the way of the user. I know that most of apple users don't care but apple does get in the way of the user, but "advanced" users do care, they are making iphone 4 obsolete and they can remotely disable your Iphone as they please (it happened to me because I send and iphone 8 to repair to an unauthorized shop), from IOS 11 onwards the system can check if a part was replaced in an official apple store or not, and disable your phone completely. So IOS does get in the way of the user, granted not in the way most of the apple users care about.

it's just as simple that something that has plenty of lock-ins against the user will, like in real life, can't really be called usable.
                Last edited by Kayote; 20 June 2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Software that was made 10 years should be able to run today, sorry.

We have games that will never be updated, it's important to preserve their ability to run.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I don't see why Ubuntu couldn't just release 32-bit versions of all of Wine's dependencies while dropping the rest of the architecture. Maybe have them packaged under the amd64 repo, but just prefixed with "x86" or whatever. Seems like a pretty easy solution to me...
                    pcsx2 or are there any other useable PS2 emulators we could use instead? Didn't follow.

Comment

On ChakraOS, they dropped x86 support quite long ago. But still, Chakra has fully working Wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X