No announcement yet.

Steam's Linux Marketshare Ticks Up Ever So Slightly For May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh. Got my first survey in a year 12 hours ago...which was 2nd survey since 2013...Yeah, it took 5 whole years before I got my first Steam Survey. Kinda funny that Phoronix has a survey article on the same day.

There's clearly a GPU reporting error on the Linux side -- Not a single RX 580? Really? Not one single Linux user with Steam has an RX 580? Well, I'm calling shenanigans on those results.

That said, the only way to get my 580 to report as a 580 is to use Wine with VKD3D...outside of that one scenario, using AMDVLK or Pro makes programs report it as an RX 480 and RADV gets programs to call it a Polaris10 LLVM 8.0.0.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      Yup I agree.

But also for Linux gaming on Steam to see a big uptick in market share we need the Linux desktop in general to see a big uptick in usage converting lots of Windows and Mac OSX users. One of the big distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Manjaro etc) needs to hit it big and make all the right industry partnerships to make sure PCs ship with well configured user friendly Linux and of course address any remaining non-gaming concerns in the way that Valve is addressing the gaming eco system. Both Microsoft and Apple aggressively push their products through the entire supply chain and make sure it ends up in the right places, to compete with that it's not enough to merely be a good product.

Linux desktop has to grow in sync with Linux gaming and feed off each other's success. Valve has turned out to be a great ally on the gaming front. But we need a similar push to happen in the the general desktop.
      Good luck with getting manufacturers to ship computers without Windows, the way M$ handles OEM licensing makes it extremely cumbersome to ship computers with something else if you have deals set up with them.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Phoronix and several users have written proofs already. Open your bubble and read them and do not focus on typos and your narrow view of the world.
        No, they were writing on 80 proof.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          - Microsoft is actually adopting Linux.
          - NVIDIA... I might agree but actually the issue (all of that lock-in) is not Linux-only.
          M$ might be taking the embrace, extend, extinguish approach, because they know that they're driving their users away with Windows 10. In fact, that operating system made me drop them completely, even though I've been dual-booting for over a decade at that point. Have you ever read leaked documents from them? (look up "evangelism is war")

As for NVIDIA… Their drivers are simply awful, the way they handle relations with the community is arogant, and they actively make things worse for themselves. My GPU in my old computer didn't get KMS in their proprietary drivers, and they were falling behind X.org releases. Add the fact that some game developers officially say they only support their shitty GPUs (https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...vilization_VI/, look at system requirements for GNU/Linux), and you have a recipe for a disaster. All of these things and Turing made me outright boycott them. I don't see myself buying from them for the rest of my life, and it would take a LOT for things to change.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            There's clearly a GPU reporting error on the Linux side -- Not a single RX 580? Really? Not one single Linux user with Steam has an RX 580? Well, I'm calling shenanigans on those results.
            RX580 is reported as RX480. Seriously, this is the same card. Slightly overclocked, with more aggressive boost reclocking, but still same thing. 570/470 variants are also likely reported as RX480

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

M$ might be taking the embrace, extend, extinguish approach, because they know that they're driving their users away with Windows 10. In fact, that operating system made me drop them completely, even though I've been dual-booting for over a decade at that point. Have you ever read leaked documents from them? (look up "evangelism is war")
              Same here. From 2005 until 2016 I had always dual booted some version of Windows and some version of Linux. Windows 10 came out, got 2 FUBAR updates, haven't had Windows installed since early 2018.

I'm contemplating installing a copy of 10 LTSC so I'll have a Windows comparison when testing games on Linux. I actually own a 10 Pro key, but gods-damn 10 Pro has too much crap I do not want...it's like comparing Ubuntu to ArchBang.

Not to mention that I simply don't trust 10 Pro at all since on any update it would reset file associations, it didn't respect telemetry settings, it didn't respect updating settings like the limited bandwidth setting...pretty bad on Micrsoft's part that I'll seriously consider pirating Windows for their long-term Enterprise edition when I own 10 Pro because 10 Pro sucks that much ass.

Plus I just don't want to risk being a guinea pig and get hit by some dumbass data-eating bug because MS decided I needed to be a beta tester since I did my usual "check for updates manually because it's Sunday and I don't have shit going on". If y'all don't know, manually checking for updates in 10 will set it up so you get beta updates...seriously...they assume that if you manually check for updates then you have to be a bleeding-edge fucktard versus a person who wants to check for updates at a time when they know their system can have downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                RX580 is reported as RX480. Seriously, this is the same card. Slightly overclocked, with more aggressive boost reclocking, but still same thing. 570/470 variants are also likely reported as RX480
                I know. The 5XX's show up as 4XX's. If you have a 570, linux will call it a 470.

Still, you'd think Steam or the drivers, especially the drivers, would have some method to separate the two if Wine + VKD3D can manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                  Steam client shows my RX 580 as a RX 580, so I don't understand what is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Same here. From 2005 until 2016 I had always dual booted some version of Windows and some version of Linux. Windows 10 came out, got 2 FUBAR updates, haven't had Windows installed since early 2018.

I'm contemplating installing a copy of 10 LTSC so I'll have a Windows comparison when testing games on Linux. I actually own a 10 Pro key, but gods-damn 10 Pro has too much crap I do not want...it's like comparing Ubuntu to ArchBang.

Not to mention that I simply don't trust 10 Pro at all since on any update it would reset file associations, it didn't respect telemetry settings, it didn't respect updating settings like the limited bandwidth setting...pretty bad on Micrsoft's part that I'll seriously consider pirating Windows for their long-term Enterprise edition when I own 10 Pro because 10 Pro sucks that much ass.

Plus I just don't want to risk being a guinea pig and get hit by some dumbass data-eating bug because MS decided I needed to be a beta tester since I did my usual "check for updates manually because it's Sunday and I don't have shit going on". If y'all don't know, manually checking for updates in 10 will set it up so you get beta updates...seriously...they assume that if you manually check for updates then you have to be a bleeding-edge fucktard versus a person who wants to check for updates at a time when they know their system can have downtime.
                    For all Windows needs that where wine-staging doesn't suffice, I just use virtual machines. M$ provides free VM images on modern.ie, and there are some sites where I can get older releases of Windows that I can virtualize when I want to run legacy software that doesn't work in wine. It's pretty useful in some rare cases, I've used virtual machines to do things such as updating firmware in my mouse.

Comment

Again a dozen of lame and stupid excuses as to why the Linux market share in gaming (and overall on the desktop) is non-existent and no one sees an elephant in the room: Linux as a desktop OS sucks ass. You just cannot expect people to move to an OS with so many wonderful features and quirks.

Say, you want to have something very simple akin to Windows file sharing in Linux. How would you do that? There are many other petty little things which might look insignificant but people depend their lives on them.
                      Last edited by birdie; 02 June 2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X