Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Nine-Standalone Offers Up New Release For Making Use Of Gallium D3D9 On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
    is there anything that wine's D3D9 to opengl translator not do well that really needs a gallium 9 implementation? i cannot say i play tons of D3D9 games through wine, but anything iv'e thrown at it recently seem to work out just fine. its wine's DX10-12 implementations that are really lacking isn't it?
    Rayman Origins is unplayable without Gallium Nine: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30550 (although it seems to need to be combined with some other staging patch too…)

Comment

I still don't get it, what's the point of that tree compared to the standard one?
      I've been building nine as a side library like DXVK for over a year from Ixit's source.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        I still don't get it, what's the point of that tree compared to the standard one?
        I've been building nine as a side library like DXVK for over a year from Ixit's source.
        Easier to install on top of any wine. For example just download the precompiled binaries, bash release.sh to install it (no need of root) in your wineprefix, then wine ninewinecfg, and voilà !

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
          is there anything that wine's D3D9 to opengl translator not do well that really needs a gallium 9 implementation? i cannot say i play tons of D3D9 games through wine, but anything iv'e thrown at it recently seem to work out just fine. its wine's DX10-12 implementations that are really lacking isn't it?
          The only wine game I play is Starcraft 2, and it's strongly CPU bound and crushes my old AMD CPU. Gallium 9 helps, though I'm still planning a CPU upgrade soon.

(Edit) My PC is six years old and I work in tech, so I can justify the upgrade financially. But it feels beyond stupid to buy a new motherboard and CPU and replace DDR3 with DDR4 almost entirely to play one game. I only play it a few times a month.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post

Easier to install on top of any wine. For example just download the precompiled binaries, bash release.sh to install it (no need of root) in your wineprefix, then wine ninewinecfg, and voilà !
            I could already do this with ninewinecfg a year ago couldn't?

I definitely see the appeal in providing precompiled binaries and such, but I don't understand why it is in a different tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

The only wine game I play is Starcraft 2, and it's strongly CPU bound and crushes my old AMD CPU. Gallium 9 helps, though I'm still planning a CPU upgrade soon.

(Edit) My PC is six years old and I work in tech, so I can justify the upgrade financially. But it feels beyond stupid to buy a new motherboard and CPU and replace DDR3 with DDR4 almost entirely to play one game. I only play it a few times a month.
              Absolutely, SC2 is a horribly CPU bound game and has next to nothing multi-threading. Wine's own translation layer on top of that kills most CPUs. SC2 is unplayable without Nine. Nine devs also recently fixed a gfx problem where Archon's glow, Medivac's healing rays and Colossus's thermal lances were not visible.

Comment

That's backwards. Why should it be part of the WINE tree if it doesn't have to? Sure, you can use that tree and fish out the 0.5% you want, but why?
                But there are ppl like you clinging to the fork+patching way of things. And that's what I don't get.

Comment

Originally posted by dhewg View Post

That's backwards. Why should it be part of the WINE tree if it doesn't have to? Sure, you can use that tree and fish out the 0.5% you want, but why?
                  But there are ppl like you clinging to the fork+patching way of things. And that's what I don't get.
                  If this is better, why not replace the https://github.com/iXit/wine repo with this?
                  Why have more confusing users?
                  I don't get where I said anything about patching...
                  Last edited by geearf; 03 February 2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

If this is better, why not replace the https://github.com/iXit/wine repo with this?
                    Why have more confusing users?
                    I don't get where I said anything about patching...
                    Oh, I hope that the WINE tree can be retired at some point!
                    I would have killed it already, but at least there has to be some time for ppl to migrate over.

What I meant by forking+patching is just that tree. It it rebased for newer WINE versions. Then there's another tree which ships loose patches based on that (but they still differ) for other packagers to patch their WINE. It's a mess imho, there's no technical reason to do so. It can stand on its own feet like DVXK. The idea behind the standalone version was to clean that up, let's see how that works out

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      A bit too much effort to make ancient games run at 900 fps instead of 800, while no monitors with such a refresh rate exist.
                      gta iv doesnt get nearly 60 fps...

Comment

Working...
                      X