Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1080p Linux Gaming Performance - NVIDIA 415.22 vs. Mesa 19.0-devel RADV/RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lichtenstein
    replied
    By "they" do you mean the civ6 devs? If so, well ... Releasing a game for linux that only works with closed source drivers is simply embarrassing.

Other than that, I haven't tried it on wine since the reports on the net aren't too positive about the results.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by lichtenstein View Post
    Hey how do you run Civ6 on amd graphics? I run vega and it segfaults on me (4.19.10, padoka ppa).

According to Steam's Civ6 page:
    That's because they are fucking morons. Literally ALL people know nvidia's drivers are -NOT- compliant with OpenGL specs. And -EVERY- game developed on nvidia hardware is -NOT- compliant with OpenGL specs. You're better off running it in wine honetly.

Leave a comment:

• lichtenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by Brutalix View Post
    Rx480 4 gb. Civ 6, I get some stutter in the beginning
    Hey how do you run Civ6 on amd graphics? I run vega and it segfaults on me (4.19.10, padoka ppa).

According to Steam's Civ6 page:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: ATI and INTEL chipsets are NOT supported to run Civilization VI LINUX.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    One could advertise any FreeSync monitor as tearfree and stutter free . But even FreeSync is relative, it do it only in ranges of this to that and is different from model to model:

That G2460VQ6 model goes in range of 35-75, if fps rate goes bellow 35 it won't be synced of course.

Question could be, does framerate goes below ranges for him when that stutter happen? Use GALLIUM_HUD to watch it. If he couldn't make a video, he could take a screenshot with hud enabled and if fps goes bellow then stutter is normal, etc...

Also if he didn't use FreeSync just VSync then anything that goes below 75 framerate is also normal to stutter

Is that big stutter or short stutter PC games have various setting usually, so user could found offender. They are not Playstation like games without settings - smoothered by creator a la movie and 30 or 60 fps by design
    Last edited by dungeon; 18 December 2018, 12:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by clapbr View Post

I tried custom modelines and dumped edids from both linux and windows with a updated AOC driver. You didnt understood, TearFree does what is supposed to and works well (with the fast cursor plane patch for the new DC, without it you get stutters when moving the mouse around https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106175 )
    This is the monitor http://us.aoc.com/en/gaming/products/g2460vq6

edit: thanks for all suggestions but most likely I've already anything easily googlable. I suspect other people have similar issues but for various reasons won't notice, maybe people already have pretty lowbar expectations for linux gaming but thats just a guess.

now I'm curious, how many of you noticed the cursor path issue?
    Now I'm convinced it has something to do with freesync, just look at AOC's website for that monitor, it advertises tearfree and stutterfree. It's probably something proprietary clashing with the OSS driver....

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

OK, that's interesting (and not what I expected). Any suspicious log errors ?

Are the "worse issues with old DC" (do you mean the pre-DC display code or early DC ?) related to stuttering as well ? Guessing no...
    Nothing suspicious in dmesg and xorg log.

The bad issue with amdgpu.dc=0 is not waking up after sleeping for a long time. It doesn't happen with the default dc=1.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    edit2: also forgot to mention the most important info: the stutters doesn't happen with amdgpu.dc=0 but I have worse issues with old DC.
    OK, that's interesting (and not what I expected). Any suspicious log errors ?

Are the "worse issues with old DC" (do you mean the pre-DC display code or early DC ?) related to stuttering as well ? Guessing no...

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

The only time I ever saw tearfree not work was on a old 72hz monitor with a weird modeline. You might want to look into generating a custom modeline for the mode you use and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: I will say that AMD's drivers -do not- handle the modelines for TV's and other odd displays very well at all. For many displays you just have to make custom modelines for it.
    I tried custom modelines and dumped edids from both linux and windows with a updated AOC driver. You didnt understood, TearFree does what is supposed to and works well (with the fast cursor plane patch for the new DC, without it you get stutters when moving the mouse around https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106175 )
    This is the monitor http://us.aoc.com/en/gaming/products/g2460vq6

edit: thanks for all suggestions but most likely I've already anything easily googlable. I suspect other people have similar issues but for various reasons won't notice, maybe people already have pretty lowbar expectations for linux gaming but thats just a guess.

now I'm curious, how many of you noticed the cursor path issue?
    Last edited by clapbr; 17 December 2018, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

it is not tearing, and of course I've already tried every possible config for refresh sync including forcing pageflip on/off, no sync, tearfree, game's vsync, all vblank_mode(s), disabling specific sync extensions, turning compositor on/off, compositor's vsync windowed.
    The only time I ever saw tearfree not work was on a old 72hz monitor with a weird modeline. You might want to look into generating a custom modeline for the mode you use and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: I will say that AMD's drivers -do not- handle the modelines for TV's and other odd displays very well at all. For many displays you just have to make custom modelines for it.
    Last edited by duby229; 17 December 2018, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I've already told you bro, it's almost certainly a tearing issue you described. Take a visit to your distro's wiki and learn how to enable tearfree in your xorg.conf. That almost certainly will olve it.
    it is not tearing, and of course I've already tried every possible config for refresh sync including forcing pageflip on/off, no sync, tearfree, game's vsync, all vblank_mode(s), disabling specific sync extensions, turning compositor on/off, compositor's vsync windowed.

edit: forgot to mention I already tried playing with nice levels and limits and also Feral's gamemode.

edit2: also forgot to mention the most important info: the stutters doesn't happen with amdgpu.dc=0 but I have worse issues with old DC.
    Last edited by clapbr; 17 December 2018, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X