No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Comes In At 0.59% For August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Play is looking good. It's great that we can finally download Windows games without needing to install the Windows Steam client... but the compatibility with Proton is still nowhere near as good as wine(-staging) with winetricks. Probably only about 25% of the games I tried (that I can get working under Wine) actually worked for me with Proton. I'm sure it will catch up quickly however.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
      Steam Play is looking good. It's great that we can finally download Windows games without needing to install the Windows Steam client... but the compatibility with Proton is still nowhere near as good as wine(-staging) with winetricks. Probably only about 25% of the games I tried (that I can get working under Wine) actually worked for me with Proton. I'm sure it will catch up quickly however.
      What I'd be interested in knowing is how the Flatpak is counted. Maybe we should put some files into /etc to help Valve distinguish it into a separate category...

Comment

Only games from Steam platform are taken into account.

Comment

A big issue in my opinion is the lack of options in notebooks with Linux compatible GPUs. I am facing this very issue right now, wanting to buy a notebook with top specs but without a Nvidia GPU for usage with Linux (I have quite a few issues with my current laptop with a Nvidia GPU under Linux; system often freezes...).
          Very few models use a decent AMD GPU, Nvidia is everywhere. And Intel integrated GPUs are a no go for gaming, surely if you think about using the laptop for 3+ years.

So I would not be surprised if a huge majority of people are forced on Nvidia GPUs and then forced on Windows due to troublesome Linux drivers; after all, you are usually forced to buy the laptop with a Windows license anyway, and there are way more game titles for Windows. So only a few die hards will try to play games under Linux; and of the Linux users, many probably dual boot just for games.

I would also be interested in the demographics of these percentages; my guess is that the Linux gamers are a bit older than the Windows gamers, and I believe that younger people play games more.
          Anyway, the usage percentages don't surprise me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thecursedfly View Post
            A big issue in my opinion is the lack of options in notebooks with Linux compatible GPUs. I am facing this very issue right now, wanting to buy a notebook with top specs but without a Nvidia GPU for usage with Linux (I have quite a few issues with my current laptop with a Nvidia GPU under Linux; system often freezes...).
            Good points. It's funny... it doesn't seem that long ago that if you wanted any chance of serious gaming under GNU/Linux, you would need to purchase Nvidia because that was your only option for drivers that were relatively stable, performed well and implemented the majority of the advertised features. How times have changed! What used to be the best driver is now widely considered the worst.

Comment

Working...
            X