Sound Blaster Recon3D Finally Seeing Better Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    I have a Asus Xonar U5 (USB) and it gained a strange defect a couple months ago: it only works on AMD based computers... It started making click noises, like when you change the output (from headphones to speakers and vice-versa), but a lot of it. Now, it do not work on all Intel based systems I tried (laptops and desktops) and at last on a desktop AMD system I have (a MSI board), it locks the boot sequence and it only continues after I unplug the card. After that, it works fine.

It's a shame, since it worked beautifully on Linux and I got accustomed to change the output between speakers and headphone, without the need to plug/unplug the P2 connector. AFAIK, no Creative based soundcard can do that.
    Sorry to hear about that, I would be very sad when my Xonar U7 dies. I got it as a gift so I won't know where to source it locally which makes it worse. I have been using it on Linux since 2014, superb sound, not a single problem so far. My latest and greatest onboard sound is a piece of crap compared to it, here's what I have: "the latest Realtek ALC1220 audio codec, individual PCB layers for R/L audio channel, 120dB SNR DAC and other technologies to deliver the crispest sound effects" and "Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio Caps" also "Gold Audio Jacks." it's a joke really.

I lied not a single Linux problem, on Windows if I use it with a dodge audio extension cable the mic channel's volume is decreased in the kernel/driver automatically (a feature not a bug I suppose). None of the setting on Windows helps, I have to make really loud noise/amp mic itself to pick up a faint sound on the OS. To get it working I would have to remove the extension cable plug the mic directly to the Xonar U7. Unplug the USB cable, reconnect it to Windows then without disconnecting, remove the mic and plug in the extention cable. Not sure if this is Windows' fault or if it's Asus' Windows driver that's just bad. On rare occasion I had to go through the procedure a few times.

With amount of software available, (pro-features / user-friendliness), market interest etc I can understand that we don't have many solutions aimed our way.

Comment

Originally posted by untore View Post
      Then got an Asus u7 which was working fine until it didn't. Probably a bunch of manufacturing issues since I was not the only one who saw his card stop functioning after only a few months.
      Oh noes not you too! I'm very concerned now!

Comment

I remember having an X-Fi, seems like a long time ago (probably because it was). Creative always had awesome hardware and some of the worst software I've ever had the misfortune of using.

These days HDMI audio and on-board stuff is good enough for my needs.

Comment

You guys with dead cards, have you tried on another system, especially AMD based? My Xonar U5 looked dead when it happened on a Intel mobo, but it came to life when I plugged it on a AMD one.

Comment

You guys with dead cards, have you tried on another system, especially AMD based? My Xonar U5 looked dead when it happened on a Intel mobo, but it came to life when I plugged it on a AMD one.
            My Xonar U7 works fine on both an Ivy-bridge mini itx mobo from Supermicro (my "main PC") and on my Ryen 5 gaming PC. (It's on a USB KVM switch so I can toggle the screen+keyboard+stuff between the two PCs).

Anything strange on dmesg after you plug the U5?

Also, did this thread become an Asus soundcard fanclub?

Obligatory "Creative cards have crappy drivers and software even on windows" statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              I'm still using an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Mostly because it sounds fine, just works and I have no idea what to replace it with.
              Yeah, I still use a Revo 5.1
              Sadly, it hasn't had any Windows drivers since XP/Vista.

Comment

A long time ago, back before the whole X-Fi debacle, Creative used to make cards that worked on linux.

I used to have a SB16, then AWE64 (emu8000 based), then various PCI cards (5.1, Audigy, ... all emu10k based), all working flawlessly in alsa.
                (and more recently acquired a second hand E-mu 1616m, a professional studio cousin of the Audigy).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  My Xonar U7 works fine on both an Ivy-bridge mini itx mobo from Supermicro (my "main PC") and on my Ryen 5 gaming PC. (It's on a USB KVM switch so I can toggle the screen+keyboard+stuff between the two PCs).

Anything strange on dmesg after you plug the U5?

Also, did this thread become an Asus soundcard fanclub?

Obligatory "Creative cards have crappy drivers and software even on windows" statement.
                  My card used to work fine on Intel systems. But a couple months ago it stopped. It looked dead until I tested it on a AMD system.

I just putted it on a Intel system and nothing on dmesg.

Comment

My card used to work fine on Intel systems. But a couple months ago it stopped. It looked dead until I tested it on a AMD system.

I just putted it on a Intel system and nothing on dmesg.
                    What distro?

Also does it not work on both usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports? You tried with a powered hub (a usb hub with its own power brick)?

Excuse me if you tried these already, I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      What distro?

Also does it not work on both usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports? You tried with a powered hub (a usb hub with its own power brick)?

Excuse me if you tried these already, I'm curious.
                      Kubuntu 18.04.

I was using it on a powered USB hub, together with other stuff, to change easily between 2 PCs. So a while ago it started making that noise (the relay) when you click the volume button to change the output, lots of it. First it stopped working on USB3 connectors, then stopped on USB2 too. I also tried the bottom switch to change it to USB 1.1 mode, but that fixed nothing.

It also do not work on Windows. BTW, you know it is working right away, when you power on the PC and LED indicating the output do not light up.

So, for now, it is still working on AMD systems, but I don't know for how long. Its too bad since Asus do not officially sold it here on Brazil, so I would have to send it out of the country to fix it, and that will cost a lot of money, and it do not worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
                      X