Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Blaster Recon3D Finally Seeing Better Linux Support

Phoronix: Sound Blaster Recon3D Finally Seeing Better Linux Support

Creative Labs launched the Recon3D sound card the better part of a decade ago and finally patches have emerged providing for better Linux driver support...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nux-Sound-2018

I've always had a fear for Creative sound cards/chips...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Creative Recon3Di was already supported by Linux
    ...poorly. Sometimes I'd get a high-pass filter on the output for no reason (which can't be disabled), and JACK didn't go any lower than 1024 samples (as if it was a hardware limitation)...
    Heck, even Windows 8 had problems with the card (sometimes it wouldn't be recognized after a suspend/reboot).

Comment

It might be a better idea to get a USB sound card with a good DAC (digial-to-analog converter).

Comment

Michael
        Looks like you got some spam on the old X-fi driver article:

"Message From Actualtests: Using our latest braindumps, not only you will pass 642-631 certification exam but also help to gain additional knowledge for next level 642-975 exam."

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Michael
          Looks like you got some spam on the old X-fi driver article:

"Message From Actualtests: Using our latest braindumps, not only you will pass 642-631 certification exam but also help to gain additional knowledge for next level 642-975 exam."
          An in-article advertisement a company paid for a few years after the article came out... for SEO purposes or something.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Now I know what sound card I'm buying for when I install Debian.

Comment

I have a Asus Xonar U5 (USB) and it gained a strange defect a couple months ago: it only works on AMD based computers... It started making click noises, like when you change the output (from headphones to speakers and vice-versa), but a lot of it. Now, it do not work on all Intel based systems I tried (laptops and desktops) and at last on a desktop AMD system I have (a MSI board), it locks the boot sequence and it only continues after I unplug the card. After that, it works fine.

It's a shame, since it worked beautifully on Linux and I got accustomed to change the output between speakers and headphone, without the need to plug/unplug the P2 connector. AFAIK, no Creative based soundcard can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                I have a Asus Xonar U5 (USB) and it gained a strange defect a couple months ago: it only works on AMD based computers... It started making click noises, like when you change the output (from headphones to speakers and vice-versa), but a lot of it. Now, it do not work on all Intel based systems I tried (laptops and desktops) and at last on a desktop AMD system I have (a MSI board), it locks the boot sequence and it only continues after I unplug the card. After that, it works fine.

It's a shame, since it worked beautifully on Linux and I got accustomed to change the output between speakers and headphone, without the need to plug/unplug the P2 connector. AFAIK, no Creative based soundcard can do that.
                I don't own the USB model, but I do have a D2, and the click you hear when switching outputs is an electromagnet. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

I had a creative soundblaster which I returned since had no Linux support and awful mic static noise. Then got an Asus u7 which was working fine until it didn't. Probably a bunch of manufacturing issues since I was not the only one who saw his card stop functioning after only a few months. Now I went back to a Razer ac1 which works great on Linux because if the oxygen drivers, but I barely use it since I am using Bluetooth headphones which don't use a soundcard. Maybe the soundcard could deal with some postprocessing I dunno.

Comment

I'm still using an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Mostly because it sounds fine, just works and I have no idea what to replace it with.

Comment

Working...
                    X