Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Rolling Out New Apps For Android/iOS

Phoronix: Steam Rolling Out New Apps For Android/iOS

Valve has just announced they are rolling out some new Steam Apps in the coming weeks for Android and iOS mobile devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome. Means I can stop caring about Gamestream!

Comment

Wait what? Steam video is going to offer access to thousands of movies and tv shows? Launching later this summer...

This sounds like an initiative designed so that when Valve relaunches the Linux based Steam htpc/console (in whatever form) it will be a more fully fledged home entertainment system.

Also I am glad that they allow you the option to download fully and then watch offline at any time... rather than being limited to streaming.
      Last edited by humbug; 09 May 2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I want to be able to stream from my Linux PC running Steam to my Nvidia Shield TV. It sounds like this would work.
        Nvidia's Gamestream solution requires a Windows PC as host.

Comment

+ as also Shield TV user, waiting for this

Comment

I don't have a TV, but could I stream games from my PC to my phone and play them with a special phone controller like this one?

Comment

I wonder if the dongle is required to connect the steam controller via Bluetooth to your Android device. If I recall correctly the steam link doesn't need the dongle

Comment

"devices while connected via 5Ghz network or wired Ethernet to a host system (Mac or PC)" Pc as in windows or Pc as in windows and Linux. I hate when the term PC is used as a synonym for windows. This needs to be clarified.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
                  "devices while connected via 5Ghz network or wired Ethernet to a host system (Mac or PC)" Pc as in windows or Pc as in windows and Linux. I hate when the term PC is used as a synonym for windows. This needs to be clarified.
                  Shouldn't be any surprise especially being from Valve and the Steam Link working on Linux, but I have been able to confirm with Valve that the apps are compatible with Linux hosts.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

while connected via 5Ghz network or wired Ethernet to a host system
                    AFAIK, at least on iOS devices, an app can't tell which WiFi or which kind of WiFi it is connected to, just that it is connected.
                    So what do they mean by 5 GHz? Do they require a minimum data rate of say 200 MBit/s which not all 2.4 Ghz devices can reach?
                    Or are there latency differences as well between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz WiFi?

Comment

Working...
                    X