Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Reaffirms Commitment To Linux, SteamOS

Phoronix: Valve Reaffirms Commitment To Linux, SteamOS

While there was a lot of hoopla recently about Valve removing the "Steam Machines" link from their main navigation on their website, Valve's Pierre-Loup Griffais has written a public post to reaffirm the company's commitment to Linux and SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by nll_a
    Thank you Valve for believing in GNU/Linux even after some of your bets didn't work out in the end. You guys are awesome.
    I have mixed feelings about Valve and Linux. I love Linux (or GNU/Linux, if you prefer) because it's a free-as-in-freedom operating system. Steam is a DRM tool for proprietary software. So in that sense, I am opposed to their business model.

But on the other hand, Valve's work on Linux may be a big part of the push it needs to gain wide use. And we all benefit if Linux (in a relatively free form, not locked down as in Android or ChromeOS) is more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      Steam is a DRM tool for proprietary software. So in that sense, I am opposed to their business model.

You aren`t locked up. Go to GOG and praise DRM-free there.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about Valve and Linux. I love Linux (or GNU/Linux, if you prefer) because it's a free-as-in-freedom operating system. Steam is a DRM tool for proprietary software. So in that sense, I am opposed to their business model.
        That is called: Admiration.

You can admire and appreciate what Valve does without believing in DRM or proprietary software.

They have contributed greatly to our community.

I sort of think that it's a fallacy to believe in all software being all open or all closed. I think there are appropriate times for each.

For example -- operating systems, it makes sense all base hardware and the platform to be open.

However software wise - I am not sure I would be too comfortable with my bank open sourcing all their internal software. I don't think that would be wise and could invite some major problems.

Comment

Valve contributes back via fixing driver bugs etc. I am all for supporting them as long as they are a part of the community at large. With the code and contributions they have made is most likely more then most users have done I would assum.

Comment

Steam is a DRM tool for proprietary software. So in that sense, I am opposed to their business model.
            Steam is a distribution platform for software. Games do tend to be proprietary and there is an optional DRM feature that applications can choose to take advantage of, but focusing on that to the exclusion of everything else is very misleading. They definitely are NOT in the business of promoting DRM if that's what you think.

Comment

Having 21% games in comparison to Windows and 66% in comparison to macOS is a great achivement.

Everything is on positive side of potentional, if we ignore MS Goliath

Comment

Valve has really now adapted well to the spirit of collaboration which is part of Linux. I.e. While they do business on Linux they also fix problems themselves and give back a lot to the community by all their Linux initiatives and investments. Most of the work they do with graphics drivers, virtual reality, Vulkan ecosystem, funding R&D, canvassing other devs etc uplifts the entire Linux ecosystem.

So for example if other stores such as GOG or Origin one day have a change of heart and decide to start taking Linux seriously they will now find things so much easier because all the kernel, API, driver and tooling infrastructure is in a much better place.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

That is called: Admiration.

You can admire and appreciate what Valve does without believing in DRM or proprietary software.
                  Or rather, you can respect their contribution to Linux and Linux gaming in particular, including Mesa, Vulkan and etc, while still opposing their approach to DRM. They have merits and they have faults. I use only DRM-free stores to buy Linux games, so I don't use Steam. But I respect and appreciate their contribution to Linux gaming and FOSS projects.

Comment

I've only been buying linux games on steam for the last few years. The user base is very small but I do like gaming on linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X