Wine 3.4 Release Continues With Vulkan Upbringing, Some Wine-Staging Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I think on Windows the witcher with a rx480 gets around 60fps at 1080p, could be wrong. (or about 45fps maxed it seems)
    I'm running on max settings, except hairworks is off. Also, some report that dxvk benefits from more VRAM. May be someone with 8GB card can test. Make sure to use direct-image-mapping branch.
    Last edited by shmerl; 17 March 2018, 11:21 PM.

Comment

yeah perhaps a test with a rx580 8gb would be nice. I have a 1080ti and play at 4k, I think under windows I get around 50fps on average. Probably get 10fps with DXVK since often wine isn't too happy about 4k resolutions.

Comment

With this I now get "more FPS" with MORE stuttering so it seems for now 1 step forward 2 steps back. The increased FPS is completely ruined by the stuttering.

Comment

Stuttering will be addressed with shader caching eventually. And it should be wine specific caching, driver caching alone is not enough.

wined3d relevant issue is described here: https://dev.wine-staging.com/patches/204/

I expect dxvk to have something of the sort as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Stuttering will be addressed with shader caching eventually.
            There definitely needs to be a better solution than a shader cache which only prevents further stuttering after stuttering has already happened at least once (and it will reoccur for various reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              There definitely needs to be a better solution than a shader cache which only prevents further stuttering after stuttering has already happened at least once (and it will reoccur for various reasons).
              You can't improve it a lot further than that, except for making fully parallelized shader compiler. That doesn't even exist within Mesa itself yet, at least for several parts of the pipeline.

Example: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100426

Comment

Question to ask is WHY is it stuttering? mismanagement of vram?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  Question to ask is WHY is it stuttering? mismanagement of vram?
                  The reason it is stuttering is because it has to create lots and lots and *lots* of Vulkan pipelines at draw time the first time that a specific combination of shaders is used. That stuttering will go away if you actually run the game for more than 30 seconds. This is not something that can be optimized away, it's inherently part of the whole D3D11 design.

Also, LLVM seems to be *particularly* bad at this. In case of Tomb Raider 2013, compiling *one* particular pipeline right before showing the menu takes over 8 seconds, so the game will stall for eight seconds as a consequence - which is just insane. It's not nearly as bad on AMD's Windows driver (or on older Mesa versions for that matter - 17.3.2 with LLVM 5.0.1 used to be damn fast, but also had a bunch of bugs that prevented DXVK from working in several games) . But again, there's very little I can do about that.
                  Last edited by VikingGe; 16 March 2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Yes, there is more stuttering with dxvk than with wined3d, caused by shaders compilation I assume. Some built in caching would surely help.

Except for stuttering problem, framerate is very good. I also noticed that setting CPU governor to performance from on demand can help increase the framerate.
                    Wouldn't .cache/radv_builtin_shaders be used?

Comment

I'm running on max settings, except hairworks is off. Also, some report that dxvk benefits form more VRAM. May be someone with 8GB card can test. Make sure to use direct-image-mapping branch.
                      Card here, but no game...

Comment

Working...
                      X