Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Changes So Far For The Linux 4.15 Kernel - Half Million New Lines Of Code So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    compilers produce executables and they will ignore everything you write in comments. all important things you have to write in code. compiler can't forget to read and abide code, you can't say same thing about people and comments
    Yeah, but the comment you replied to was talking about maintaining the code, not compiling it. A compiler doesn't maintain the code, people do, and comments are what help people.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      I wonder how many of those lines are comments?

Why do I ask?

Uncommented code is practically unmaintainable. Poorly commented code is not much better than uncommented code. Well commented code is theoretically "self documenting", but that is no excuse to not create actual documentation that is kept separate from the code, or comments that can be easily excised from the code since I have known a programmer or two that liked to "write books" in their code comments.
      Comments are useless for projects like Linux, to know what the code does you simply read it, comments get out of date so you need to read the code to find out if the comments are telling the truth anyway, so all comments do is make it take longer to know what the code does. What does help is good naming schemes.

Comment

I am still quite new to Linux but I have been enjoying studying it and using Mint as my primary home workstation for a couple years now.

Could someone please explain to me what it means when a feature is "no longer in staging"? If possible in layman's terms please.

Comment

Working...
        X