Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Changes So Far For The Linux 4.15 Kernel - Half Million New Lines Of Code So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Changes So Far For The Linux 4.15 Kernel - Half Million New Lines Of Code So Far

Phoronix: The Big Changes So Far For The Linux 4.15 Kernel - Half Million New Lines Of Code So Far

We are now through week one of two for the merge window of the Linux 4.15 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"USB Type C Port Management is no longer in stading. " Did you mean standing?

Looks like 4.15 will be a great xmas present for us all.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      "USB Type C Port Management is no longer in stading. " Did you mean standing?

Looks like 4.15 will be a great xmas present for us all.
      staging
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Anyone know (approximately) when 4.15-rc1 will be released?

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
          Anyone know (approximately) when 4.15-rc1 will be released?
          Next weekend. ~26th November. Might be off by a few days though since Torvalds is traveling for US holiday.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder how many of those lines are comments?

Why do I ask?

Uncommented code is practically unmaintainable. Poorly commented code is not much better than uncommented code. Well commented code is theoretically "self documenting", but that is no excuse to not create actual documentation that is kept separate from the code, or comments that can be easily excised from the code since I have known a programmer or two that liked to "write books" in their code comments.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              I wonder how many of those lines are comments?
              About 20K last time I looked (116K SLOC code, 20K comments, 20K whitespace).
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                Uncommented code is practically unmaintainable.
                comments have little to do with code maintainability. compilers don't read comments. people often too btw

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  comments have little to do with code maintainability. compilers don't read comments. people often too btw
                  I really hope compilers aren't maintaining code now, or I'm going to be out of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    I really hope compilers aren't maintaining code now, or I'm going to be out of a job.
                    compilers produce executables and they will ignore everything you write in comments. all important things you have to write in code. compiler can't forget to read and abide code, you can't say same thing about people and comments
                    Last edited by pal666; 21 November 2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X