X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    Go for Power CPU based systems. They aren't open source by default, but see:

https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/prerelease.php
    Power board firmware is opensource, at least upstream (maybe not the CPU microcode itself, but everything else is) and it's ath the Open-power foundation github https://github.com/open-power

Downstream board firmwares may very well be closed-source, of course, as it's all Apache licensed.

TALOSII should be fully open, but it's a bit pricey.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Oh, nice. It was annoying to see the linux-firmware files getting overwritten by the kernel ones every time when doing an install.

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

True. The FSF drew the line at "if it can be updated, it should be open-source".

I draw the line at "If it's closed-source or can't be updated, it should be quarantined by an MMU or router controlled entirely by open-source software." I'm really not sure what I'm going to do when the supply of pre-PSP x86 CPUs dries up and microcode represents an annoying exception to my policy even as-is.
    Go for Power CPU based systems. They aren't open source by default, but see:

Talos™ II is the world's first EATX-compatible, workstation-class mainboard for the new, free-software friendly IBM POWER9 processor and architecture. POWER is the only open, owner-controllable architecture that is competitive in performance.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Remember that pretty much everything has proprietary microcode running on it, just built into ROM rather than running from RAM.

Being transparent requires more than just "not being able to see it"
    True. The FSF drew the line at "if it can be updated, it should be open-source".

I draw the line at "If it's closed-source or can't be updated, it should be quarantined by an MMU or router controlled entirely by open-source software." I'm really not sure what I'm going to do when the supply of pre-PSP x86 CPUs dries up and microcode represents an annoying exception to my policy even as-is.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
    FSF will not be pleased by this, because the sorce code still needs the BLOBs.

Lucikly for them, they can continue to use the fantastic, well-supported by lots of hardware kernel Hurd.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    It makes it easier to separate binary blobs from the kernel. Keep proprietary binary blobs away. They are a security concern as there is no transparency and nobody knows what they do or can do.
    Remember that pretty much everything has proprietary microcode running on it, just built into ROM rather than running from RAM.

Being transparent requires more than just "not being able to see it"
    Last edited by bridgman; 16 September 2017, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
    FSF will not be pleased by this
    i am crying

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    This is great!
    yes, but your post is stupid
    It makes it easier to separate binary blobs from the kernel. Keep proprietary binary blobs away. They are a security concern as there is no transparency and nobody knows what they do or can do.
    it does not make it easier to separate, they were already separated in firmware directory. and this is only source, binary kernel will have firmware installed anyway, just from other git repo

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    130k lines each being 40 digits in hexadecimal. (maybe not each, but like 99% are)

That's around 10'400'000 bytes, or 10 megabytes of blobs.
    i'm not sure how you get that result from 5.2m digits

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Yes, less download and less cluttered, more ordered - but this is possibly important to know for people who build their own kernels (90% of Gentoo users, e.g.). Some FW you definitely want to have in your kernel image, so it is at hand at boot time and not late once you mounted your FS with /lib/firmware on it. E.g. no radeon FW -> no KMS/black screen maybe. So I'll have to check if there are more files to include now for my old machines.
    Actually genkernel provides all the tools you need to make sure that isn't a problem at all. As long as people are using genkernel this change should be completely invisible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X