Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg 3.3 Brings Native Opus Encoder, Support For Spherical Videos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FFmpeg 3.3 Brings Native Opus Encoder, Support For Spherical Videos

    Phoronix: FFmpeg 3.3 Brings Native Opus Encoder, Suppoer For Sperical Videos

    FFmpeg developers quietly released FFmpeg 3.3 prior to the weekend as the first major feature release of 2017...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...g-3.3-Released

  • #2
    Kind of major typos:

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: FFmpeg 3.3 Brings Native Opus Encoder, Suppoer For Sperical Videos

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Kind of major typos:

      Heh yep, was already fixing it as soon as it was posted and looks like you beat me to posted :/

      Long day.... https://twitter.com/michaellarabel/s...44363022225408
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        FFmpeg is the ultimate multimedia sonic screwdriver. Also, GUI wrappers around it only give access to a small fraction of its functionality; to fully exploit its power, you need to resort to the command line.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
          FFmpeg is the ultimate multimedia sonic screwdriver. Also, GUI wrappers around it only give access to a small fraction of its functionality; to fully exploit its power, you need to resort to the command line.
          I agree that FFmpeg is great, but still it's strange that it didn't support Opus encoding until now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jacob View Post
            I agree that FFmpeg is great, but still it's strange that it didn't support Opus encoding until now.
            It did support it through libopus, I'm not sure why they've decided to add an internal encoder now, maybe they have some geniuses who can knock the socks off libopus on either high or low bitrate (or both! that would be dazzling).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by microcode View Post

              It did support it through libopus, I'm not sure why they've decided to add an internal encoder now, maybe they have some geniuses who can knock the socks off libopus on either high or low bitrate (or both! that would be dazzling).
              Or maybe it's gonna end up like their Vorbis encoder, so it's crap and they have to tell people not to use it.

              Comment


              • #8
                i wonder if this encoder is better
                is there a way to test?

                Comment


                • #9
                  The decoders, parsers and interpreters needs to be rewritten in Rust for safety against vulnerabilities and exploits.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    The decoders, parsers and interpreters needs to be rewritten in Rust for safety against vulnerabilities and exploits.
                    How far are you already? Quite excited about your work! What development version of the rust language are using?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X