Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.6.27 Kernel Killing Network Hardware

Phoronix: 2.6.27 Kernel Killing Network Hardware

In case you missed it, there's a rather serious regression with the e1000e network driver in the Linux 2.6.27 release candidate kernels. This Ethernet driver has been killing some Intel integrated Gigabit network adapters by corrupting the chip's EEPROM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just a little correction for Ubuntu, there is not the mainline driver used, but

filename: /lib/modules/2.6.27-4-generic/kernel/ubuntu/e1000e/e1000e.ko
    author: Intel Corporation, <[email protected]>
    description: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver
    license: GPL
    version: 0.4.1.7

But it seems to suffer from the same problem. That problem is nothing new, basically every distro with 2.6.27 kernel is affected and the first corruption I knew of was about 1 month ago already. Hopefully there will be a tool that can flash the eeprom back with working values...

Comment

It's the RC, not mainline

I found it confusing that the article states that it's the mainline kernel which is affected - in fact, it's the RC, which is not a production version. Moreover, it does not impact all major Linux distributions, but rather their current beta versions.

I think that should be made clear in order to minimize FUD emission which this bug caused too much of already anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by shamooki View Post
        I think that should be made clear in order to minimize FUD emission which this bug caused too much of already anyway.
        Apologizes if it wasn't clear enough, it's just been revised.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shamooki View Post
          I found it confusing that the article states that it's the mainline kernel which is affected - in fact, it's the RC, which is not a production version. Moreover, it does not impact all major Linux distributions, but rather their current beta versions.

Good point

Comment

Wording

"Intel netcard suiciding on concurrent read/write"

As little research as I did.
            No?

Comment

Ok wait, so is any physical damage caused to the hardware, or is it just made not-functional until certain bit states are fixed?

Comment

As I understand there is no physical damage, to return to working state you only must reprogram eeprom back to its default state.

Comment

Originally posted by blueskynis View Post
                  As I understand there is no physical damage, to return to working state you only must reprogram eeprom back to its default state.
                  From what I've heard this is not 100% the case. Some who have tried say that results in a MAC address of 00-00-00-00-00.

Comment

"you only must reprogram eeprom ": for 99,9% of users that sentence means = dead card.

but it's also true that a user that's running 2.6.27rc must be at least a user that understands a minimum of "computer things" so he's able somehow to reflash it.

If something like this happens for example with an Ubuntu stable release, oh well, I couldn't blame if Microsoft pays some newspaper to FUD about it..lol

Comment

Working...
                    X