• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic 2.6.27 Kernel Killing Network Hardware

2.6.27 Kernel Killing Network Hardware

Phoronix: 2.6.27 Kernel Killing Network Hardware

In case you missed it, there's a rather serious regression with the e1000e network driver in the Linux 2.6.27 release candidate kernels. This Ethernet driver has been killing some Intel integrated Gigabit network adapters by corrupting the chip's EEPROM...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njc0Nw

• Kano
    replied
    I know of one defect adapter on an asus q35 board. saidly the system locks when you try to load a patched driver (without crc check).

Leave a comment:

• spikestabber
    replied
    Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    oh....I was just joking but it seems the thing is more serious than I thought... I'll read your link!
    Being friends with one of the Intel linux devs, he told me that this issue is most likely related to core kernel changes rather than a bug with the actual driver. The nvram on the e1000* based cards are shared between the rest of the hardware components on the machine, as its a part of the address space. Anything can have a flaw that writes to the wrong address, such blame can be bugs in the kernel, a buggy X11 graphics driver writing to a bad memory address, or a combination of both could be the culprit here. From what I understand this is mainly happening with laptops, and no reported happenings with PCIe based server adapters yet.

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    oh....I was just joking but it seems the thing is more serious than I thought... I'll read your link!

Leave a comment:

• Jade
    replied
    Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    If something like this happens for example with an Ubuntu stable release, oh well, I couldn't blame if Microsoft pays some newspaper to FUD about it..lol
    What most likely happened is Microsoft paid a Linux kernel saboteur to have the kernel trash your LAN card.

See: The Linux Kernel SABOTEURS at
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9509
    Last edited by Jade; 09-26-2008, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    but it's also true that a user that's running 2.6.27rc must be at least a user that understands a minimum of "computer things" so he's able somehow to reflash it.
    anybody running -rc* kernels must be ready for anything, be it hardware failure, your pc killing your dog, or kernel devs kidnapping your girlfriend :]

Also, would it be easier to just import the driver from a previous Kernel?
    i think this one will nail down the problem - http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/23/431 .

the issue might lay deep within the kernel, and not the driver itself.

remember how rtorrent exposed a deep bug in the kernel in 2.6.18 ?

Leave a comment:

• Tarmael
    replied
    How do I test to see what card I'm using so I don't encounter the problem when I update.

Also, isn't Canonical's work around just getting rid of that driver?

Also, would it be easier to just import the driver from a previous Kernel?

Possible problems I can see:
    1. It not being compatible with the 2.6.27 kernel
    2. It's not the driver that's corrupting (which that is being talked about in the bug report)

Thanks a lot.

Bas.

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    "you only must reprogram eeprom ": for 99,9% of users that sentence means = dead card.

but it's also true that a user that's running 2.6.27rc must be at least a user that understands a minimum of "computer things" so he's able somehow to reflash it.

If something like this happens for example with an Ubuntu stable release, oh well, I couldn't blame if Microsoft pays some newspaper to FUD about it..lol

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by blueskynis View Post
    As I understand there is no physical damage, to return to working state you only must reprogram eeprom back to its default state.
    From what I've heard this is not 100% the case. Some who have tried say that results in a MAC address of 00-00-00-00-00.

Leave a comment:

• blueskynis
    replied
    As I understand there is no physical damage, to return to working state you only must reprogram eeprom back to its default state.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X