Mozilla's Project Mortar Wants Pepper API Flash & PDFium In Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    With the Chromification of Firefox, why not just use Chrome?

Seriously, they should go back to the UI of FF 3x or 2x. It was nice and clean. They should also stop adding features nobody wants like that Reader, Messenger and other junk.
    Just use Pale Moon.

Pale Moon is an Open Source, Mozilla-derived web browser available for Microsoft Windows and Linux, focusing on efficiency and ease of use.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

Until Adobe offers Reader DC for Linux we are stuck with the ancient, barely supported Reader 9.5.5 which is really showing its age. A solid PDF reader that supports the latest PDF stuff that Adobe cooks up is something sorely needed for Linux.
      I disagree.

There needs to be a more standarized PDF and not just a small part of the Adobe's PDF implementation. This is a trap, Adobe must become irrelevant FOREVER. They are a cancer for computing.

Alternatively, MuPDF needs a lot more financial and programming support. Latest PDF features, Full ePub 3 and more.

F$$$ ADOBE, F$$$ PPAPI, F$$$ FLASH, F$$$ CHROME, F$$$ MOZILLA.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I disagree.

There needs to be a more standarized PDF and not just a small part of the Adobe's PDF implementation. This is a trap, Adobe must become irrelevant FOREVER. They are a cancer for computing.

Alternatively, MuPDF needs a lot more financial and programming support. Latest PDF features, Full ePub 3 and more.

F$$$ ADOBE, F$$$ PPAPI, F$$$ FLASH, F$$$ CHROME, F$$$ MOZILLA.
        I'm having trouble googling up the answer. Was it MuPDF or just the Sumatra frontend for it that I banned from my WinXP retro machine for violating my no-DRM policy by not providing an "obey DRM restrictions" checkbox for me to uncheck?

Comment

Well Finally... Took you more than long enough Mozilla, you should have done this years ago when PPAPI was announced as opposed to going It's Not In House therefore no support for you.... instead we're going to javascript everything instead, that'll work just awesome...

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'm having trouble googling up the answer. Was it MuPDF or just the Sumatra frontend for it that I banned from my WinXP retro machine for violating my no-DRM policy by not providing an "obey DRM restrictions" checkbox for me to uncheck?
            I really doubt about MuPDF, it's Affero GPL version 3

MuPDF - the lightweight PDF, XPS, and E-book viewer

mupdf mirror. Contribute to ArtifexSoftware/mupdf development by creating an account on GitHub.

ABOUT

MuPDF is a lightweight PDF, XPS, EPUB and CBZ viewer and parser/rendering
            library.

The renderer in MuPDF is tailored for high quality anti-aliased graphics. It
            renders text with metrics and spacing accurate to within fractions of a pixel
            for the highest fidelity in reproducing the look of a printed page on screen.

MuPDF is also small, fast, and yet complete. We support PDF 1.7 with
            transparency, encryption, hyperlinks, annotations, search and many other bells
            and whistles. MuPDF can also read XPS documents (OpenXPS / ECMA-388),
            EPUB and CBZ (Comic Book archive) files.

MuPDF is written to be both modular and portable; the example applications
            are merely thin layers on top of the functionality offered by the library,
            so custom viewers can be easily built for a wide range of platforms. Example
            viewer applications are supplied for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS and Android.

MuPDF is deliberately designed to be threading library agnostic, while still
            supporting multi-threaded operation. In the absence of a thread library
            it will run single-threaded, but by adding one significant benefits in
            rendering speed on multi-core platforms can be obtained.

Interactive features such as form filling, javascript and transitions
            are in development and partially supported by the Android application.

LICENSE

MuPDF is Copyright 2006-2015 Artifex Software, Inc.

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
            the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free
            Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any
            later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
            WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
            PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License along
            with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

For commercial licensing, including our "Indie Dev" friendly options,
            please contact [email protected].

COMPILING

If you are compiling from source you will need several third party libraries:
            freetype2, jbig2dec, libjpeg, openjpeg, and zlib. These libraries are contained
            in the source archive. If you are using git, they are included as git
            submodules.

You will also need the X11 headers and libraries if you're building on Linux.
            These can typically be found in the xorg-dev package. Alternatively, if you
            only want the command line tools, you can build with HAVE_X11=no.

The new OpenGL-based viewer also needs OpenGL headers and libraries. If you're
            building on Linux, install the mesa-common-dev and libgl1-mesa-dev packages.
            You'll also need several X11 development packages: xorg-dev, libxcursor-dev,
            libxrandr-dev, and libxinerama-dev. To skip building the OpenGL viewer, build
            with HAVE_GLFW=no.

DOWNLOAD

The latest development source is available directly from the git repository:

git clone http://mupdf.com/repos/mupdf.git

In the mupdf directory, update the third party libraries:

git submodule update --init

INSTALLING (UNIX)

Typing "make prefix=/usr/local install" will install the binaries, man-pages,
            static libraries and header files on your system.

REPORTING BUGS AND PROBLEMS

The MuPDF developers hang out on IRC in the #ghostscript channel on
            irc.freenode.net.

Report bugs on the ghostscript bugzilla, with MuPDF as the selected component.

If you are reporting a problem with PDF parsing, please include the problematic
            file as an attachment.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              Well Finally... Took you more than long enough Mozilla, you should have done this years ago when PPAPI was announced as opposed to going It's Not In House therefore no support for you.... instead we're going to javascript everything instead, that'll work just awesome...
              Why don't you read the explanation from Mozilla devs why they didn't?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

PPAPI is better for flash, as it seems it was mainly developed for this. At least this is the impression I've got from the explanations from the Mozilla devs.
                Actually it is kind of terrible for Flash, but yes it was developed for it, and still Flash needs several private APIs specially made for it to work with PPAPI. Amazingly PDF needs several special hard-coded private APIs as well, and so does native client, which more or less means there are no plugins anywhere actually using PPAPI, all PPAPI plugins are actually using special-made custom extensions to PPAPI, that only works because they have been hardcoded to be allowed for those specific plugins.

Comment

Just use Pale Moon.

http://www.palemoon.org
                  Umm nooo... Pale Moon is an outdated, slower less secure fork of Firefox. Hundreds of security bug fixes that Mozilla patched are still unfixed in Pale Moon.

Comment

just use pale moon.

http://www.palemoon.org
                    eeek!!!! Malware!!!! Kill it with fire!!!

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                      Sigh. PDFium is just one giant collection of security holes that accidently also renders PDF as a side effect.
                      Don't know if it's true, but at least it's funnny...

Comment

Working...
                      X