Mozilla's Project Mortar Wants Pepper API Flash & PDFium In Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Project Mortar Wants Pepper API Flash & PDFium In Firefox

Phoronix: Mozilla's Project Mortar Wants Pepper API Flash & PDFium In Firefox

This week word of Mozilla's "Project Mortar" surfaced, which aims to explore the possibility of bringing the PDFium library and Pepper API based Flash plugin into Firefox. This project is being led by various Mozilla engineers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PDFium support and dropping NPAPI sounds good.

Comment

I can understand the PPAPI Flash, but is PDFium so much better than PDF.js that we need an entire team and months of work to import it into Firefox? There's a cost vs benefit argument to be had there, vs just "yeah, but it's like 4% faster so we need it" y'know?

As for PPAPI Flash, I'm looking forward to that. At least until Shumway is revived with a C++ > WebAssembly (using emscripten or something) version a few years down the line when flash really dies.

Comment

Sigh. PDFium is just one giant collection of security holes that accidently also renders PDF as a side effect.

Comment

when adobe makes a new version of flash they want pappi flash? this mozilla guys have no brains

Comment

[QUOTE=Daktyl198;n901803]I can understand the PPAPI Flash, but is PDFium so much better than PDF.js that we need an entire team and months of work to import it into Firefox? There's a cost vs benefit argument to be had there, vs just "yeah, but it's like 4% faster so we need it" y'know?/QUOTE]
            Actually yes... Firefox's pdf.js is complete garbage. It's ridiculously slow, especially with graphics-heavy brochures - you literally have to sit there and watch each layer be rendered over each other, as if you're using a computer from 1992. Also, text looks horrible (do they not do antialiasing or what?) and if you print the document the text looks like crap (blurry) too, unless they fixed that recently (it's been a while since I've tried printing a PDF from Firefox, since I just use an external viewer for that now).

Seriously, pdf.js is the worst PDF viewer I have EVER used. It blows my mind that the Mozilla folks ever let that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              when adobe makes a new version of flash they want pappi flash? this mozilla guys have no brains
              exactly. i could of told the world years ago that Shumway would of been a Dead project. , still no sign of Adobe pushing Flash 23 to linux though even though there is a beta, so i dunno why Mozilla are now talking of PPAPI, i can probably understand why they'd want the new PDF though

Comment

What, no more editing? I mangled the QUOTE tag in my post above, and looks like I can't fix it...

Comment

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions which is where i would of thought Googles PDF comes into play to user in Mozilla

Comment

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
                    What, no more editing? I mangled the QUOTE tag in my post above, and looks like I can't fix it...
                    Michael turned it off, but he can still have it, all he needs to do is Time Limmit Editing a post like they do over on Neowin forum, you got about 5min or 10 min untill you can edit a post then you have to make a complete new post,

Comment

Working...
                    X