Reiser4 Now Has Support For The Linux 4.7 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    Or perhaps useful member of the society that looks for constructive interaction with other human beings, even those that came out of prison.
    Considering his previous interactions with society (just look at kernel mailing list), the fact (scientifically proven) that jail time does not improve people with obvious social issues, and the fact that he got caught for the crime he committed (when it would have been relatively easy to murder his wife without any issue if it was done by a person with a modicum of rational thought) I find this hard to believe.

But to steer back to the subject, I think that his chances of beating BTRFS on middle-to-long-term are good.
    Even assuming it's not total bs (which it is, but let's ignore that for a moment), that's never going into mainline anyway, as he wasn't interested in fixing what they asked, and acted as a standard-issue forum troll in the kernel mailing list.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Um, did you know people don't get jailed for life in quite many countries?
      He was sentenced first-degree murder, which is jail for life or even execution in some US states.
      I said he was given a second-degree murder charge only because he told where the corpse of his wife was.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        if I Charles Manson could fix and finish writing BTRFS I'll be proud to use it
        If he did so without going out of custody/prison/whatever, I wouldn't mind too. Here the issue is him getting out of prison and the risk of harming people again, not that he should not write code because he is evil.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
          This is a bit like rejecting E=mc2 just because Albert Einstein was an ass to his wife. While Hans Reiser might have murdered his wife he may still have had good ideas otherwise.
          Not the point here, here the issue is that releasing this guy is a danger.
          If he could keep coding from jail there would be 0 issues.

Also ignoring that mainline reviewers said the code was crappy and posted a whole list of things Reiser himself said he was not going to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            If he did so without going out of custody/prison/whatever, I wouldn't mind too. Here the issue is him getting out of prison and the risk of harming people again, not that he should not write code because he is evil.
            Charles Manson didn't kill anyone, however.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
              Charles Manson didn't kill anyone, however.

" In 1971 he was found guilty of conspiracy to commit the murders of seven people – most notably of the actress Sharon Tate – all of which were carried out by members of the group at his instruction. He is currently serving nine concurrent life sentences at Corcoran State Prison in Corcoran, California."

And this describes his mental state:
              "Manson believed in what he called "Helter Skelter", a term he took from the Beatles' song of the same name. Manson believed Helter Skelter to be an impending apocalyptic race war, which he described in his own version of the lyrics to the Beatles' song. He believed the murders would help precipitate that war."

I don't care of technicalities of who killed who, this is another guy that is better kept locked somewhere.

Comment

Sigh, blocked by stupid forum. Read up on wikipedia meanwhile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

Comment

Not the point here, here the issue is that releasing this guy is a danger.
                  If he could keep coding from jail there would be 0 issues.

Also ignoring that mainline reviewers said the code was crappy and posted a whole list of things Reiser himself said he was not going to fix.
                  First of all I am not ignoring that. Second if Hans killed his wife he deserves to be locked down for good or face the same destiny for all I care. Third, my point who you seem to miss entirely is that if Hans have produced some good ideas (or code for that matter) it must not be buried away just because he did something bad. Glorifying a persons conceptual ideas is not the same as glorifying the person and that is a very important difference

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                    First of all I am not ignoring that. Second if Hans killed his wife he deserves to be locked down for good or face the same destiny for all I care. Third, my point who you seem to miss entirely is that if Hans have produced some good ideas (or code for that matter) it must not be buried away just because he did something bad. Glorifying a persons conceptual ideas is not the same as glorifying the person and that is a very important difference
                    You already said that and it was loud and clear already, I'm not missing it.

Unless your point was also that his filesystem was/is good, in which case that's plain wrong, and kernel mailing lists still have the answers of the last reviewers of the code to prove it.

Reiser4 would have been something decent IF someone fixed the issues reported, it's not just writing style changes, it's stuff like avoiding that a single bad sector in the wrong place sends the whole filesystem/driver in a loop on mount, and things like that.

Comment

You already said that and it was loud and clear already, I'm not missing it.

Unless your point was also that his filesystem was/is good, in which case that's plain wrong, and kernel mailing lists still have the answers of the last reviewers of the code to prove it.

Reiser4 would have been something decent IF someone fixed the issues reported, it's not just writing style changes, it's stuff like avoiding that a single bad sector in the wrong place sends the whole filesystem/driver in a loop on mount, and things like that.
                      By all means, I don't know enough about Reiser4 to have a strong opinion either against or for it. What I feared you did not fully understand (sorry about that, you did - I was wrong) was the simple idea that even if some people are bad and have evil intentions what they produce may be good and one should not stop using it simply because one dislikes the person. For example don't stop using Windows because you dislike Bill Gates, stop using it because it sucks and stinks of privacy issues things like that...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                      X