Reiser4 Now Has Support For The Linux 4.7 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    It justifies equal treatment. If you don't give much of a crap for those, don't hyperventilate here also.
    Here is not the place to talk about that, so I don't. I'm not new in the trade, don't try to sidetrack me.
    Which is stil matter of legal, not public action.
    I'm just pointing out that cherishing when a murderer is freed just because you think you can get something out of it will show you are a selfish asshole.

Comment

Please, distinguish between (a)social personal acts and a quality of code written. The first belongs to morality and a justice, the second only to benefits of use of the code. Since 4.7, patching the kernel for reiser4 to be used will be a faded nightmare. Many thanks to kernel coders!

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
        Please, distinguish between (a)social personal acts and a quality of code written. The first belongs to morality and a justice, the second only to benefits of use of the code. Since 4.7, patching the kernel for reiser4 to be used will be a faded nightmare. Many thanks to kernel coders!
        Did I also say that his code was rejected from mainline as it was still full of crappy code?

This post is about the remnants of Reiser4 team keeping updated the patch as they kept doing till now.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Here is not the place to talk about that, so I don't. I'm not new in the trade, don't try to sidetrack me.
          I'm just pointing out that cherishing when a murderer is freed just because you think you can get something out of it will show you are a selfish asshole.
          Or perhaps useful member of the society that looks for constructive interaction with other human beings, even those that came out of prison.

If whole point of human race is having highly capable brain, capable of complex thoughts, then that's the one criteria Hans meets and he is in 1% minority.

Rest of the population is just a walking meat ( if that), that mainly interacts with environment by eating and crapping.

Not to mention whole irony of privately owned and operated prisons in USA. It is the prison that meets your criteria of "selfish asshole" since they were the ones that got most "out of it" by far.

But to steer back to the subject, I think that his chances of beating BTRFS on middle-to-long-term are good. If he doesn't kill anyone else OR if he doesn't screw up deals with prosecutor. And since bcacheFS guy is doing good and has so far murdered no one, and his stuff seems to work as advertised, he's in the lead by my acount.

Comment

if I Charles Manson could fix and finish writing BTRFS I'll be proud to use it

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Can I remind people here that this fine guy has murdered a woman and didn't get jailed for life only because he agreed to say where the body was buried? I wouldn't be so happy to see a murderer come free just because he made something else I happen to like.
              Um, did you know people don't get jailed for life in quite many countries? For instance in northern Europe sentences like ~14-15 years are quite typical. Enjoy your US dream where the cops shoot unarmed black people 15 times and give high fives while their body cameras are turned off:
              The Chicago Independent Police Review Authority has released a video showing the aftermath of the July 28 police shooting of an unarmed black man, in which the officers checked to…

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                if I Charles Manson could fix and finish writing BTRFS I'll be proud to use it
                Are you quite certain he didn't? Have you heard what it does to your data?

Seriously though... An interesting thought that. Since the "land of the free" has by far the greatest prison population on Earth one might suppose it could be worthwhile training the longer-term inmates at least, with some skill that they could readily perform from within their prisons. Thus allowing them to contribute something to society while "inside" and providing them with some means to function productively once returned to that society - assuming some of them ever make it out alive.

Coding could be a really good fit for that. If only the average American could get their heads around the concept of there being a rehabilitation aspect to "justice" rather than mistaking it for some "cute" euphemism for vengeance, while flouncing about crowing about their own perceived "morality" and "rights" all the time.

I too would be proud to run MansonFS (as long as it was any good and very thoroughly vetted, of course )

Comment

This is a bit like rejecting E=mc2 just because Albert Einstein was an ass to his wife. While Hans Reiser might have murdered his wife he may still have had good ideas otherwise. As long as this knowledge is free for others to build on I don't see any reason to not use this knowledge (code) for something worthwhile. I would like to point out that I am against murdering wife's or any other form of woman abuse. In fact it's one off the things I hate most in life, but rejecting good ideas or principles because people are bad would mean that a lot of technology would never exist at all. Sadly it's that simple.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I dislike to meddle, but, did anyone notice that starshipeleven already thrice mentioned that Hans'es code wasn't accepted because it was unmaintainable crap, and Hans didn't even care, "I'm an artist, that's how I see!".

Comment

Michael, I suggest a feature request, let's make a separate notification for unapproved posts, otherwise when they does appear, they buried under a bunch of other comments, and nobody does even know of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X