No announcement yet.

Flatpak Officially Announced For "Next Generation Linux Applications"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is becoming a gathering of the technical illiterate.
    One guy jerking off to his insane ramblings about 4G and Debian, the other regurgiating the fairy tale that GNU/Linux is secure, as long as you use FOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Then why the hell I cannot just go on Kodi site and pull down a tar-gz of things, unzip that in /opt and run it from there?

Kodi uses system libraries, try to install it in Suse without pulling and replacing system libraries with those from packman third party repo (hint: it segfaults), and same on Debian, it needs system libraries, cannot live without.
      For wast majority of ffmpeg's existance it did not have a official or stable API. Therefore there WERE no system library, therefore ALL old projects that used ffmpeg have traditionally shipped their own copy, usually statically linked.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

WAN IP changes after every restart of 4G client, no fixed IP->no attackers.
        My IP used to change every day on my modem, and my firewall was still flooded by attacks because robots attack everithing and they do not care about my own IP...
        And what about a web server? should it change IP every hour so it "cannot be attacked"? You know what is a DNS at least?

You are so far from understanding a single sentence of what people are writing here that I may better invite you to understand what are layers :

Your remarks about security are for layer 1 & 2 (physical, data link), Flatpack Snappy etc. are improving security at layer 7 (application).

You're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          Distros don't need to change anything but 3rd party apps can now simply provide one flatpak for all distros.
          Thank you Mike, you summed up that perfectly!

Seems like the Linux world is full of haters, sometimes I think they hate nvidia/intel/ubuntu/redhat/opensuse/kde/gnome far more than they hate Microsoft!

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Except the systemd requirement isn't a downside.
            Well it could be if your distro or system doesn't support systemd, or you have a reason not to use it. Granted these are not the "typical users", but having it work without systemd could open it up a bit to those who do not use systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post

i dont see why the snap approach is less secure than the flatpak aproach.
              if you refer to the 1GB libreoffice snap package: https://skyfromme.wordpress.com/2016...reoffice-snap/
              Maybe I should rephrase, flatpacks have more security features, as they were build from the ground up with this goal, thus can theoretically should have the ability to make them more secure (this is a speculation not a statement). Obviously, this will be less of a gap with mir, but I can't comment on that, as I am not familiar with mir, or mir+snap.
              As for size, I know it's a lot smaller without debug, but seems like flatpacks can still be made smaller due to through common and repo available run-times. Obviously won't save you unless you have multiple flatpack apps using the same run-times.

I guess I should have also mentioned the CLA. A lot of devs will not touch it because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                I do have server on my Huawei 4G stick and firewall on there but no logs. With 3G stick it was direct connection to the same router (tplink mr3220) and it was as boring log as with 4G.
                The logs you posted were about your own router assigning an IP to your own PC. Not attackers. Look up what DHCP is.

If you don't see the same in your 4G router it's because they don't log DHCP events.

Comment

Originally posted by bvbfan View Post
                  Linux Desktop will never have same usage like Windows or Mac, it is for FOSS lovers, so when you want to use crap closed source software like Skype, Photoshop etc. go for Mac.
                  Excuse me, why the fuck you should care if someone makes a system so that crap proprietary apps can be used on linux too again? I mean it does not mean someone forces you to install them in your FOSS system.

If you want to use crap closed source apps go for Mac, Linux it's not your OS.
                  Bad news: your view is niche. Now go back using GNU Hurd and washing your beard.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    This thread is becoming a gathering of the technical illiterate.
                    One guy jerking off to his insane ramblings about 4G and Debian, the other regurgiating the fairy tale that GNU/Linux is secure, as long as you use FOSS.
                    We still miss someone ranting about GPL or saying how better a permissive license is.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      The logs you posted were about your own router assigning an IP to your own PC. Not attackers. Look up what DHCP is.

If you don't see the same in your 4G router it's because they don't log DHCP events.
                      I think it was supposed to be proof that no unexpected LAN activity was occurring on the connection, i.e. the logs were from the 4G.

I have a feeling there's a language barrier here though.

Comment

Working...
                      X