No announcement yet.

Get The Steam Controller For $35 USD This Weekend For Your Linux Gaming Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get The Steam Controller For $35 USD This Weekend For Your Linux Gaming Needs

Phoronix: Get The Steam Controller For $35 USD This Weekend For Your Linux Gaming Needs

A few days back I wrote about the Steam Link being just $35 USD for your streaming Linux gaming needs via Valve's platform. Now, Amazon is finally listing the Steam Controller at $35 USD as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just got one from Gamestop (first place it hit $35) and I must say it is pretty apalling how badly the controller integrates in general. You need Steam running to use it, but the UX of adding third party emulators and games and changing controller profiles after that is awful. I've found and really appreciate sc-controller which provides a config GUI, but its not as advanced as the one Valve ships (ex, it cannot create a third directional pad for the gyro).

It is certainly useful and cool, it just sucks how badly it is supported on Linux when the Steam client grabs it and does an awful job managing it.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      I just got one from Gamestop (first place it hit $35) and I must say it is pretty apalling how badly the controller integrates in general. You need Steam running to use it, but the UX of adding third party emulators and games and changing controller profiles after that is awful. I've found and really appreciate sc-controller which provides a config GUI, but its not as advanced as the one Valve ships (ex, it cannot create a third directional pad for the gyro).

It is certainly useful and cool, it just sucks how badly it is supported on Linux when the Steam client grabs it and does an awful job managing it.
      You'd think when even the cheapest 3rd party controllers ship with full xinput support and work with all games out of the box, Valve would do the same. But no, of course not, not even as fall back. Advanced features and full configuration through Steam are nice, but should be an option, not a mandatory feature.

Comment

yay got another one!

sadly it was to substitute the first one which I got stolen

Comment

Sounds like a good deal but it's only available for prime members, which is a shame for someone in Australia where Amazon don't really exist and wouldn't have any use paying for prime. Steam Controllers have been 'coming soon' since they were announced with no sign of that changing

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

Haven't tried it yet, but saw this on gamingonlinux.com:

The controller itself though is really precise (yes you have to get used to it, but it's still way better than an analog stick), so I might get another one.

Comment

I really appreciate that using my Steam Controller I can map it to Undertale controls which is keyboard only. Obviously I could have done something similar using AntiMicro but so far my Steam Controller fills this weird spot where sometimes I prefer the Joysticks on my X360 controller and sometimes I prefer a mouse and keyboard.

Then there's those games that don't work on X360 controller, and those are the best for Steam Controller imo as I can usually just download a Community binding for that game without too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by EspadaV8 View Post
                Sounds like a good deal but it's only available for prime members, which is a shame for someone in Australia where Amazon don't really exist and wouldn't have any use paying for prime. Steam Controllers have been 'coming soon' since they were announced with no sign of that changing
                EspadaV8 I'm in Australia too and just bought one. It let me sign-up to a free trial of prime which I will cancel right away

Comment

Sadly, in Europe the controller is 54 euros, roughly $61...

Comment

I have a Steam Controller since January, and I really love it.

The integrated gyro really helps for aiming, as well as the right touchpad that can be configured as a standard joystick camera or as a mouse camera controller (you can even combine both, for example in a 3rd person shoter, use it as joystick camera until you press a modifier button to switch in mouse camera mode).

The ability to share custom bindings with the steam community is nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X