No announcement yet.

KDE Akonadi Support For Microsoft Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile "how to disable akonadi" is probably still the #1 ranking KDE related search on Google.
    It seems kind of weird (to me), that a piece of software that so many find incredibly useful, has had such troublesome implementations over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Meanwhile "how to disable akonadi" is probably still the #1 ranking KDE related search on Google.
      It seems kind of weird (to me), that a piece of software that so many find incredibly useful, has had such troublesome implementations over the years.
      True. Akonadi forces me to reboot every week. After 10 days the system get unstable or runs out of memory.

Not a big deal anyway for a daily use.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

It is not their problem, is it? All sane distros package qtwebengine.
        None do actually, unless they have a dedicated maintainer just for that, which is equal to having another maintainer for Chrome (major job). Having such huge dependency isn't trivial. It was a bad idea for Qt to use such heavy overkill there.
        Last edited by shmerl; 02 May 2016, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I cross fingers for this. Tried all possible workaround with Evolution and Firebird and none worked...
          Have you tried this yet?: https://github.com/Ericsson/exchangecalendar

I use it on a daily basis. More details:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...306#post865306

DavMail is another alternative that's also actively developed, although I found it to be more buggy and resource-heavy.
          Last edited by bmaupin; 02 May 2016, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post

Have you tried this yet?: https://github.com/Ericsson/exchangecalendar

I use it on a daily basis. More details:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...306#post865306

DavMail is another alternative that's also actively developed, although I found it to be more buggy and resource-heavy.
            I will take a look at the 1st one as it looks like a new tool, thank you.

I already tried Davmail but it has huge memory leaks (slowly going to 3GB!). I had to kill it once every 2 days... I got bored.

Comment

I don't want to undermine those surely excellent news, it's just sad he didn't start with calendar/contacts/notes support.
              This plugin aims at corporate environments as this is where normally Exchange is present.
              Exchange supports IMAP already and usually in those environment IMAP is already enabled. Calendar/contacts/notes is what is lacking as davmail falls short here unfortunately.
              Last edited by reavertm; 02 May 2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                True. Akonadi forces me to reboot every week. After 10 days the system get unstable or runs out of memory.
                Just restart Akonadi:
                $ akonadictl restart

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                  I don't want to undermine those surely excellent news, it's just sad he didn't start with calendar/contacts/notes support.
                  This plugin aims at corporate environments as this is where normally Exchange is present.
                  Exchange supports IMAP already and usually in those environment IMAP is already enabled. Calendar/contacts/notes is what is lacking as davmail falls short here unfortunately.

Yes, if those programs where commercial products this would be #1 priority. For me this is the main reason why Thunderbird failed in coprporate environments.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                    The exchangecalendar plugin for Thunderbird handles calendar and contacts. Not sure about notes.

Here's a snippet of the features it supports:
                    • Support Exchange server 2007, 2010 and 2013 (Office365).
                    • Sync Calendar, Task/Todo and Contact items from an EWS (Exchange) server.
                    • Create, modify and delete calendar events and task/todo items. They will get synced immediately with the EWS server.
                    • You can access any Calendar, Task or Contacts folder on your EWS server as long as you have the right primarySMTP or alias email address and enough permissions for the used user.
                    • Manage “Out of Office”settings for each calendar mailbox.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      Interesting, but Kmail has this major issue of using QtWebEngine
                      That's wrong. KDE PIM up until (including) 16.04.x is using QtWebkit. KDE PIM 16.08.x will depend on QtWebEngine instead, and at this point this is in official Portage tree of Gentoo (can't speak for other distros).

Comment

Working...
                      X