Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"PulseVideo" Coming To Complement PulseAudio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm! Something like ffmpeg, but offering a clean API? Or related to wayland? *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

But it's new, and we all know how gens reacts to new things: they are either stupid and/or he can do better with a few lines of shell script.
      yes ofc
      i always say that audio should go over shell scripts
      i never ever mentioned that it should go over shm, that JACK already does it, that it is the oldest IPC
      and i never ever did a benchmark of all this

cuz you know, it doesn't go over shell scripts so its no good

(thats sarcasm, for those who dont know)

PA is at major version 6 already, and it doesn't support shm

im sorry if you think that audio and video should have a dedicated server and send all their data over dbus
      im sorry for the education level of your country (dont feel bad, IT education is bad everywhere)
      Last edited by gens; 30 June 2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

yes ofc
        i always say that audio should go over shell scripts
        i never ever mentioned that it should go over shm, that JACK already does it, that it is the oldest IPC
        and i never ever did a benchmark of all this

cuz you know, it doesn't go over shell scripts so its no good
        All of which has absolutely nothing to do with this news item.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
          All of which has absolutely nothing to do with this news item.
          GKH gave "multimedia" as a reason for kdbus
          so its a fairly safe guess
          edit: also gstreamer still does not do alsa properly, and this is from a gstreamer guy

il publicly apologize here if this turns out to be done correctly
          cuz im not one of those that dont admit mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

itl most probably be over k/dbus
            they don't do anything else anymore
            Well, if they really do start start shoving video data onto kdbus, they'll be in for a world of surprise. I can see that happening, but it won't take long before they realize those 2-3 context switches every second adds up to thousands of unusable cycles. (Maybe totalling billions of unusable cycles over the length of a movie)
            Last edited by duby229; 30 June 2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

After purged Pulseaudio, system runs much better and smoothless.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, if they really do start start shoving video data onto kdbus, they'll be in for a world of surprise. I can see that happening, but it won't take long before they realize those 2-3 context switches every second adds up to thousands of unusable cycles.
                actually not so bad that they will care
                with kdbus one could send a lot of data over shm (what they call "zero-copy")
                its still overhead from actually doing something like sending a fd to the app that wants it
                (idk how webcam capture works in linux, that it is over a socket is an assumption (USB is a network protocol so it makes sense))
                plus the relatively small overhead of encapsulating data in the dbus protocol and sending/receiving to a server rather then directly

i care
                cuz i like efficiency and i think that there shouldn't be a kernel in userspace where there is a kernel already
                but hey, its features

Comment

Maybe they won 't care, but it'll kill multitasking while watching video. At minimum they'll be seriously irked.

Comment

There are a lot of devices supported through V4L(2). Looks like Section I Chapter 3 or 4 are relevant, or maybe section IV, here. Not really familiar with V4L, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Maybe they won 't care, but it'll kill multitasking while watching video. At minimum they'll be seriously irked.
                      yes, running 2 processes instead of 1 will wake up an extra core thus reducing battery life
                      itl also introduce some latency and possibly jitter

its funny how some go rlyyy deep just to reduce some jitter and other make tools to help reduce power consumption
                      then some come and just pile on that
                      Last edited by gens; 30 June 2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X