Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"PulseVideo" Coming To Complement PulseAudio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--disable-shm[=BOOL]
    PulseAudio clients and the server can exchange audio data via POSIX shared memory segments (on systems
    that support this). If disabled PulseAudio will communicate exclusively over sockets. Please note that
    data transfer via shared memory segments is always disabled when PulseAudio is running with --system
    enabled (see above).
    5char.,.

Edit:
    PulseAudio adopts a client/server model that is very similar in principle to that of the X11 system. It is the server that actually outputs the audio and the client app that tells the server what to play. While this approach can be inefficient, resulting in the copying of audio data around, PulseAudio goes to great lengths to ensure that data copying and other latency-prone operations are kept to a minimum. In the common use case of both client and server running on the same machine, PulseAudio uses SHM (Shared Memory) to ensure that data sent from the client to server is not copied across the wire. The core of the PulseAudio server itself is "zero copy" meaning that references to the data are passed around without actually copying the data itself.
    Last edited by Nobu; 30 June 2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      After purged Pulseaudio, system runs much better and smoothless.
      Smoothless would be a contradiction. Either it runs smooth, more smooth or less smooth.

You have either a botched installation of a distribution, running old hardware, both, or you have an outdated PulseAudio. I haven't had to much with it for nearly 1 year on Debian Sid.

Comment

Umm...

Well it tries to solve some of the same issues for video that PulseAudio solves for audio. Namely letting you have multiple applications sharing the same camera hardware.
        Could you please read the blog post before starting the flame war? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
          5char.,.

Edit:
          only if PA runs under the same UID as the program
          that is not how distributions pack it
          and there is no security reason for it (app can only write to the buffer, regardless if the UID is same or not)

i can't find it even being mentioned before version 5
          and i do remember it was under plans for 6
          then again maybe that was the IPC part that was planned for 6, since there is no shm IPC for PA

shm usage by PA is not done by having a fixed size period, nor a small buffer (nor fixed timing)
          this says PA commits 8MB of memory for itself plus 8MB per client
          there is no actual reason to do that, 2-4 4k buffers would be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Smoothless would be a contradiction. Either it runs smooth, more smooth or less smooth.

You have either a botched installation of a distribution, running old hardware, both, or you have an outdated PulseAudio. I haven't had to much with it for nearly 1 year on Debian Sid.
            Ok I mean fast very fast. ALSA can manage also upmix by Xonar d2X.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

yes ofc
              i always say that audio should go over shell scripts
              i never ever mentioned that it should go over shm, that JACK already does it, that it is the oldest IPC
              and i never ever did a benchmark of all this

cuz you know, it doesn't go over shell scripts so its no good

(thats sarcasm, for those who dont know)
              Apparently you are not capable of parsing the words and/or

PA is at major version 6 already, and it doesn't support shm

im sorry if you think that audio and video should have a dedicated server and send all their data over dbus
              im sorry for the education level of your country (dont feel bad, IT education is bad everywhere)
              Sorry, but education level in my country is quite high, as in most European countries.

Comment

@Wielkie It's been fairly tame so far, aside from the obvious trolls and their detractors.

gens, well, either way it works for me. I could see why shm would be attractive, but you also have to recognize it's disadvantages. Of course, people who know how to utilize shm safely can work around at least some of the disadvantages, it's just a matter of whether it's worth it for what you're doing or not, and I'm not qualified to make that decision (or even comment on it, for that matter)

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  i don't like to have prejudice
                  Ah, that must be the reason why your first post in this thread was "oh the stupidity" without having any information on it. You must have a different definition of prejudice. Merriam-Webster defines it as this
                  a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                    Apparently you are not capable of parsing the words and/or

Sorry, but education level in my country is quite high, as in most European countries.
                    sure, i also live in europe
                    same as whateverheiscalled, show me your code and il show you the fun thing im working on right now
                    im just interested if you know how to code

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                      gens, well, either way it works for me. I could see why shm would be attractive, but you also have to recognize it's disadvantages. Of course, people who know how to utilize shm safely can work around at least some of the disadvantages, it's just a matter of whether it's worth it for what you're doing or not, and I'm not qualified to make that decision (or even comment on it, for that matter)
                      its actually quite fun to do and i recommend it to anyone
                      in the case of streaming data, it is secure (one would need to make a really big mistake to mess it up)
                      the Advanced Linux Programming book probably explains it all the best
                      chapter 5 is about IPC's and it starts with SHM

Comment

Working...
                      X