Systemd 220 Has Finally Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Sure, for that matter lets just call it GNU/systemd/xorg/gnome/libreoffice/linux
    I'd add mozilla to that, so you get firefox and thunderbird added.

Comment

Originally posted by timtas View Post

I'd add mozilla to that, so you get firefox and thunderbird added.
      oh sure web apps of course.... Can't have an OS without good support for the web.... That certainly deserves mention in the name of the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post

Yes, I know. I was making fun of the tired old "systemd is taking over the world" nonsense.
        well, it did take over the linux distro world over. ie, thats done now actually.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post
          If you're going to do that, you need to start calling Windows "ntoskrnl.exe"
          Well, for the record, for some time (between version 4.1 and 2000) "NT" was prominently featured in the marketing/naming. The kernel WAS the main feature put forward by Microsoft to distinguish their "Pro" series of OSes (NT 3.5, NT 4, etc.) from the DOS-based ones (Windows 3.x, 9x, ME...)

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
          Not all motherboards have a UEFI shell built in. It's (currently) outside the scope of systemd to provide a full-fledged UEFI shell environment.
          For these case, there's Tiano Core's Shell

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Does any motherboards have a UEFI shell built-in?
            I believe the UEFI shell resides on the EFI system partition maybe?

So if you could just have an option to boot the shell from the EFI system partition.
            Intel workstations and server motherboards have full UEFI shell built in.
            Same goes for many HP servers.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I would like a "reboot to UEFI shell" option.
            /+100.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

While systemd is licensed under the GPL, some people maintain that it's not GNU or is against GNU principles
              wrong
              some crazy people maintain that it's against unix principles(they are badly mistaken), but gnu is recursive acronym for "gnu's not unix". see, they are so braindead to think that gnu being not unix is good, but systemd being not unix is bad. in reality systemd is very much like freebsd, which is very unixy.

Comment

If you're going to do that, you need to start calling Windows "ntoskrnl.exe" and Mac OS X "XNU". Linux is a kernel around which an operating system is built. That's why traditionally it's been GNU/Linux.
                no. system is also called linux, like kernel, there is nothing wrong with that. traditionally gnu zealots call it gnu/linux, despite the fact that most of the software is not gnu, like x11/mozilla/libreoffice etc.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  I hear musl is a pretty good libc.
                  in advertisements

Comment

Originally posted by timtas View Post

Go on, then. Mind that you also have to get rid of systemd then, which exclusively requires glibc even to the point to refuse patches to add compatibily for musl.
                    nobody is going to add patches to every program to make it work with musl. fix your fucking musl once

Comment

Working...
                    X