Systemd 220 Has Finally Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
    GNU/Linux should be renamed systemd/Linux, honestly.
    And that would be great, it sounds better and is technically more sound.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post

I think the parent means that systemd seems to be replacing a lot of GNU tools, programs, and functions within Linux distros that adopted it. While systemd is licensed under the GPL, some people maintain that it's not GNU or is against GNU principles, therefore they are calling Linux distros systemd/Linux as a dig at the systemd folks.
      Yes, I know. I was making fun of the tired old "systemd is taking over the world" nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

And that would be great, it sounds better and is technically more sound.
        Even better we can just call it "Linux" since systemd is Linux specific anyway
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Even better we can just call it "Linux" since systemd is Linux specific anyway

If you're going to do that, you need to start calling Windows "ntoskrnl.exe" and Mac OS X "XNU". Linux is a kernel around which an operating system is built. That's why traditionally it's been GNU/Linux.

Comment

I might support the abolishment of the GNU parts from Linux just to not have to call it bloody "GNU/Linux". I hear musl is a pretty good libc.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              I might support the abolishment of the GNU parts from Linux just to not have to call it bloody "GNU/Linux". I hear musl is a pretty good libc.
              Go on, then. Mind that you also have to get rid of systemd then, which exclusively requires glibc even to the point to refuse patches to add compatibily for musl.

Comment

Originally posted by timtas View Post

Go on, then. Mind that you also have to get rid of systemd then, which exclusively requires glibc even to the point to refuse patches to add compatibily for musl.
                I was joking. Relax. Except I actually have heard musl is good.

Comment

They are not replacing the GNU utilities, so why would you do that?

Comment

Sure, for that matter lets just call it GNU/systemd/xorg/gnome/libreoffice/linux

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post

I was joking. Relax. Except I actually have heard musl is good.
                      Yes, I like it, too. It also seems to be the only libc that allows you to use it on a glibc/gcc based system without building a whole toolchain for it first. Was able to compile a fully static busybox of a size of less than a megabyte on a regular glibc system.

Comment

Working...
                      X