No announcement yet.

Systemd Gets An Fsck Daemon/Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ironic thing about this RedHat vs Canonical stuff is that RedHat is known for servers and Canonical is known for dekstops, but Ubuntu's server edition is better than its desktop edition, and Fedora became the first distro to release Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Guix and dmd are under active, rapid development at this point, so "half-baked" is a bit of a glass-half-empty statement. They aren't feature complete, but they've got a strong development team and a solid roadmap.

The dmd project was started 3 years prior to Upstart's first release, and then laid dormant for about 7-8 years until the Guix project got started. So it would be inaccurate to refer to dmd as a "copy" of Upstart. The reverse might be true. And Guix is at most a fork of Nix, since it is being rewritten using Guile, and the methods have changed significantly from Nix.
      But what do dmd and Guix actually offer or intend to offer that Upstart and Nix don't? Other than being written in a different language with a different license?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        The next moron. Which is the only fully open source company with capitalization over 1 billion dollars, and increasing...Red Hat.
        What is the company behind Fedora, and even Michael promoted Fedora 21 for his main Desktop...Red Hat.
        Who is the biggest funders for nouveau project ( so you can use nvidia on your Desktop ) ... Red Hat.

Yes, they are completely supportive to Desktop...
        Fedora is one of the WORST distros.
        Michael have switched from osx to Ubuntu and then to Fedora, wait for the next
        Noveau is just crap. At least last time I tried on arch linux with KDE.

You are a moron.
        Last edited by cocklover; 19 February 2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
          But what do dmd and Guix actually offer or intend to offer that Upstart and Nix don't? Other than being written in a different language with a different license?
          The backing of GNU. Long term development and support in the case of dmd, which should make it an important alternative to systemd as other init systems fall by the wayside.

Guile, for those who are into hacking around with scheme-based programming. All the other advantages of Nix for Guix - roll-backs, modular, multi-user, portable binaries, privileges for regular users, atomic upgrades, etc...

I'm not evangelizing. I'm just pointing out that GNU is actually involved in fairly rapid development of alternatives. I'm on Arch-based Parabola personally, and quite happy with pacman and systemd for now. But it's good to know that I'll have some new tools to try out as dmd and Guix become production ready over the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ View Post
            I am using gentoo and regardless of that I can complain as much as I want
            Don't get me wrong i said "you shouldn't" just like you CAN be a dbag... you just shouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by emerge-e-world View Post
              Sure, not using the mostly optional daemons and services is easy. A simple:
              Code:
              systemctl disable <unwanted service>
              disables a service at boot. If you want to make sure that it is not pulled in by dependency:
              Code:
              systemctl mask <unwanted service>
              For example, if you prefer say NetworkManager or wicd, you can disable networkd simply with:
              Code:
              systemctl disable systemd-networkd
              if it was enabled by your distro in the first place.

And as it has been stated very often before: you can also disable most of the additional daemons and utilities at compile time, if you do not even want the binaries lying around. Just tell the configure script what to include and what not, you can build yourself a very minimal systemd install. It is a simple as
              Code:
              ./configure --disable-timesyncd
              if you for example do not want to build systemd-timesyncd, because you already use ntpd or what ever you prefer.

Great, thanks for the info on this as I prefer using a minimal systemd install. I am currently using Debian and how they set up systemd is pretty good but if I'd want to turn on or off the features I'd then go by this guide you just posted.

Thumbs up for this one

Comment

Nouveau is enuogh for non-gaming machines.

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
                <snip>Noveau is just crap. At least last time I tried on arch linux with KDE. <snip>
                On a machine NOT used for gaming and equipped with a small Nividia card like a Gt520, current Nouveau is powerful enough to run any desktop environment out there, even GNOME or Cinnamon, without lagging. I suspect that with a default Mint cinnamon live disk and two boxes one with my GT520 and one with my Radeon 5570 you would be hard pressed to tell them apart unless you tried to play a video in hardware or installed a game. That's a hell of a long way from being "just crap!"

Hell I was able to run Compiz with only a little lag on an ancient 6600LE back in 2010, and that's a card which is too old for Nouveau to perform anywhere near its best due to its 4 pipeline layout.

Nvidia cards default to low boot clocks that (at least in the Fermi cards I have tested) are enough for the desktop, yet don't run the card hot. A GtS450 on Nouveau did not perform as well as on the blob due to the reclocking issue in my tests, but also ran only a degree or two hotter on the desktop. The really old 6600LE will run hot, however, as it has only one speed and its architecture seems to be very inefficient with Nouveau. That card lists 4 pipelines as its core configuration, rather than some number of fully reprogrammable shader cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
                  systemd knows perfectly well if fsck is running, since it started it, why would init care how far it is done?
                  The real reason is that you can not cancel systemd-fsck with ctrl-c like with any normal init.
                  When sysvinit or upstart ever drops to a shell because of a bad file system or some other error there are almost always issues when interacting due to Plymoth or whatever graphical thing people are using. The real reason this is a great idea though is it creates a common way for Linux to run fsck instead of having each and every distro creating their own init script to run fsck with almost no cooperation between distros.

Comment

Originally posted by asavah View Post
                    I have my own
                    patches are welcome

Comment

Working...
                    X