Systemd Gets An Fsck Daemon/Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
    systemd likely won't work on tiny embedded devices, because they refuse to support something other than glibc.
    That is not true; systemd will happily work with other glibc-implementations like eglibc and even accept certain kind of patches in order to support them. What the systemd developers don't accept, are patches that eg. removes security features from systemd in order for it work with non-glibc compatible libs like uClibc. They say that glibc-like libs should be patched to work with systemd, not the other way around. Quite reasonable actually.

Case in point; this guys is experimenting with making OpenWRT work with systemd using eglibc, to run on a tiny, coin sized Linux "VoCore" board.
    Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Another day - another systemd feature creep.

Another day - another systemd feature creep. I agree with some of the other posters. Lisystemdnux is about right

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
        systemd really is very modular; the whole intention is that people/distros can turn features on or off so that systemd can scale from tiny embedded devices to supercomputers and massive scale clusters.
        the old myth that systemd is modular. hillarious!

it was just a hook, like the "systemd is super fast, faster than every other init!!!11111", to get the people aboard the systemd-oneway-train. but since its a oneway-train and too much lemmings blindly hopped on that train there is no way back and we need to live with that big monster now and make it most convenient for the users.

i just hope lennart doesnt grow a beard and traveling from con to con and telling everyone to call it systemd/linux from now on. or he even including the kernel into systemd (with ridicolous arguments like he used before to include all the other stuff "just think about the security!!!!!111111"). actually i wonder when lennart starts making hardware and includes that into systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
          systemd likely won't work on tiny embedded devices, because they refuse to support something other than glibc.
          Actually they only refuse to clutter their code with #ifdefs to work around problems with libc that are not offering all the features they need. Those #ifdefs make it harder to understand the code and tend to be badly tested, so there are valid reasons for that policy.

To get systemd up and running on your favorite libc: Make your favorite libc support all the needed features (which will make porting other applications easier, too).
          Alternatively you can maintain your own branch of systemd with all the #ifdefs yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
            the old myth that systemd is modular. hillarious!
            This really isn't up to debate; the proof is in the source code whether that fact disturbs you or not.

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
            it was just a hook, like the "systemd is super fast, faster than every other init!!!11111", to get the people aboard the systemd-oneway-train. but since its a oneway-train and too much lemmings blindly hopped on that train there is no way back and we need to live with that big monster now and make it most convenient for the users.

i just hope lennart doesnt grow a beard and traveling from con to con and telling everyone to call it systemd/linux from now on. or he even including the kernel into systemd (with ridicolous arguments like he used before to include all the other stuff "just think about the security!!!!!111111"). actually i wonder when lennart starts making hardware and includes that into systemd.
            Blind systemd-hate, hyperbolic "predictions" and conspiracy theories involving Lennart Poettering; you got it all.

According to you all major distro maintainers and system developers are "lemmings" that stupidly choose systemd, while you, some unnamed forum poster, have the wonderful gift of true sight, that allows you to clearly see what even CS-Phd's and hardcore Linux system developers can't see.

Anyway, your contentless, toxic and technically misinformed attack on systemd and its open source developers are so typical. No wonder that most serious developers have fled the anti-systemd side a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              I was actually one of those who believed that systemd was a good thing. These days I see a change that I am not so sure I like. systemd is basically becomming a "standard base system".
              I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing, I am only hoping that it will be modular enough that people can replace parts of systemd with their own stuff without easily breaking compatibility.
              systemd was designed as "standard base system" from more-or-less day one.

From the initial systemd announcement [1]:
              More importantly however, it is also our plan to experiment with systemd not only for optimizing boot times, but also to make it the ideal session manager, to replace (or possibly just augment) gnome-session, kdeinit and similar daemons.
              For the systemd page [2]:
              systemd is a suite of basic building blocks for a Linux system. It provides a system and service manager that runs as PID 1 and starts the rest of the system. systemd provides aggressive parallelization capabilities, uses socket and D-Bus activation for starting services, offers on-demand starting of daemons, keeps track of processes using Linux control groups, supports snapshotting and restoring of the system state, maintains mount and automount points and implements an elaborate transactional dependency-based service control logic. systemd supports SysV and LSB init scripts and works as a replacement for sysvinit. Other parts include a logging daemon, utilities to control basic system configuration like the hostname, date, locale, maintain a list of logged-in users and running containers and virtual machines, system accounts, runtime directories and settings, and daemons to manage simple network configuration, network time synchronization, log forwarding, and name resolution.
              - Gilboa
              [1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
              [2] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I get the feeling that, due to new bugs, or systemd no longer being configurable to do exactly as the user wants - people that today are saying it works fine for them, will slowly get frustrated with it and switch away. Assuming there will still be any distros left that support other init systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  Please, systemd, take over laptop-mode-tools, pm-utils, acpid, tlp, tuned, and all that clusterfuck of hacks over hacks resembling something made to save power in a mobile system, or in, well, any computer with some idle time. That should be next on the list.
                  That might actually be useful.

I look forward to the arguments over which shell should be included in Systemd

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    That might actually be useful.

I look forward to the arguments over which shell should be included in Systemd
                    I doub it, systemd is developed by Red Hat Corpotate. And those guys does not care about desktop/notebook...

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
                      I doub it, systemd is developed by Red Hat Corpotate.
                      You anti-systemd misinformation spreaders are just hilarious. What was this article just about? Oh right, there it is, even in the teaser: Cannonical developers added this feature. Yes Cannonical, as in most definatly not Red Hat. Might be a hint that no, these people are not "Red Had Corpotate (sic!)", but that, yes, systemd is a cross-distro project with many contributors.

Comment

Working...
                      X