Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU SRC Updated: BSD Ports-Like System In The GNU World

Phoronix: GNU SRC Updated: BSD Ports-Like System In The GNU World

A new release of SRC is out this weekend, the GNU's package management solution that is its GNU/GPL version of a BSD Ports-like system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gentoo users will emerge this with portage!

Comment

Why would anyone actually want this?

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
        Gentoo users will emerge this with portage!
        also exherbo users, and sourcemage or lunar linux users have their respective from-source package managers. probably more out there, but i am only familar with these. you can probably roll debian from source if you wish, as well.

i'd say it's yet another NIH type of project, and the complexity of managing a from-source distribution is pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
          Why would anyone actually want this?
          Because it's better that BSD ports and will soon have more software then shitty BSD ports. Also, it actively protects the user from proprietary software.

Comment

BSD has more software than GNU/Linux.

Comment

Why are people trying to reinvent Portage? It's already there. Fork it, adapt it, use it.

Comment

Why are people trying to reinvent BSD? It's already there. Fork it, adapt it, use it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  also exherbo users, and sourcemage or lunar linux users have their respective from-source package managers. probably more out there, but i am only familar with these. you can probably roll debian from source if you wish, as well.

i'd say it's yet another NIH type of project, and the complexity of managing a from-source distribution is pretty high.
                  With debian you can just:

apt-get build-dep -b <debian-source-package-name>

This command builds the package as well as checking for and getting/building the build dependencies in one go.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
                    Because it's better that BSD ports and will soon have more software then shitty BSD ports. Also, it actively protects the user from proprietary software.
                    Desperation in your views does not make your statement against BSD Ports or Mac Ports factual.

Comment

Working...
                    X