Systemd 216 Piles On More Features, Aims For New User-Space VT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
    Well, from what I've read, the in kernel VT code is crufty, fragile and "scary". Moving the VT code out of the kernel and into userland, while using saner and cleaner code has been a wish. Does it matter that userspace VT is handled by systemd?

One can dislike systemd, but for better or worse, the project has become the low level, unified Linux userland. Instead of resisting the done deal* of systemd as Linux' system suite, why not make more use of it?

*The deal is done people. For all the teeth gnashing and sniping in forums, there have been zero efforts to start a viable, alternative project that can compete with systemd. SysV init is EOL. Distro's are not going to halt progress, just because vocal people on the internet are glorifying an outdated, limited and ill fitting init system. Before a smart ass comments that SysV fits just right, then why are all distro's switching away from SysV? No, alien mind control is not an acceptable answer, nor is coercion (or black magic) from Lennart Poettering.

just like hal was simplifying hardware managment - and as soon as it worked it was dumped?
    just like all those *kits that, as soon as everybody moved to them, were dumped?

As soon as systemd is halfway stable and everybody is getting used to it, be sure it will be dumped and replaced by SOMETHING BETTER(TM).

Comment

Here's something to consider to judge systemd by. Suppose I want to use a different kernel/base system to run my GNU software and other compatible software, how much has systemd tied us into the "core os" to prevent us from doing that? And to those wondering there are other systems like the Genode framework and soon to be OS.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorWho View Post
        Here's something to consider to judge systemd by. Suppose I want to use a different kernel/base system to run my GNU software and other compatible software, how much has systemd tied us into the "core os" to prevent us from doing that? And to those wondering there are other systems like the Genode framework and soon to be OS.
        if you want to use different kernel with freebsd base, how much has freebsd base prevented you from doing that ?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          if you want to use different kernel with freebsd base, how much has freebsd base prevented you from doing that ?
          I don't know about the BSDs. I'm asking about the large GNU system of software there is. It's my view that other systems like Genode will become popular in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorWho View Post
            Do you want to build your own distro from scratch? If not, you don't have many options besides Gentoo and even then you can't just pick any GUI like you used to. Half of the GUI userland irreversibly depends on systemd now and since systemd is aggressively swallowing other projects things are deteriorating pretty fast. It's not even about what you still can use w/o systemd today. It's about being able to use it tomorrow.

The sad truth is that Linux as we knew it silently ceased to exist some time ago. What's left of it now should be called Systemd OS or - even more appropriately - Red Hat OS.
            Last edited by prodigy_; 21 August 2014, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
              Yes, it turned out that the systemd-opponents was just a tiny but vocal minority, and judging from the systemd detractors here on Phoronix, most of them are actually *BSD users. There seem to be some hidden agenda among certain BSD users, that it is good for BSD if they trash-talk systemd. Rather unsavoury behaviour in my opinion, that badly reflects back on the BSD projects.
              This doesn't make any sense. BSD users shouldn't care, because it doesn't really effect them.

Also, hilarious gif dunovan.

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
              The sad truth is that Linux as we knew it silently ceased to exist some time ago. What's left of it now should be called Systemd OS or - even more appropriately - Red Hat OS.
              Uh, what?
              Last edited by profoundWHALE; 21 August 2014, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Final thoughts: at this point it's too late to discuss whether systemd is good or bad (unless you're into purely academic discussions like what NT would be without Win32 API). The freedom of choice is forever gone and distros are merely different labels slapped on what is actually the same product.

Bow to your corporate masters and adapt to systemd or stay independent and migrate to another OS. That's all, folks.

Comment

Daily reminder that systemd is FOSS software and it's good FOSS software that has attracted over 500 people to contribute code to it since 2010, more than every other init or hackjob service bolt on garbage combined.

There are BSD (L)users and apologists actively trying to further cripple GNU/Linux more than every before by spreading lies and FUD against systemd project because if GNU/Linux developers continue to make use of systemd and systemd relies on Linux-kernel-only features exposed by systemd these "people" cannot continue to leach and steal all the GPL work done by GNU/Linux users and developers which fills the BSD ports (software repositories). Many are also thought to be on the payroll of Microsoft to try and sabotage powerful FOSS projects with strong and powerful communities.

Comment

Daily reminder that systemd is FOSS software and it's good FOSS software that has attracted over 500 people to contribute code to it since 2010, more than every other init or hackjob service bolt on garbage combined..

There are BSD (L)users and apologists actively trying to further cripple GNU/Linux more than every before by spreading lies and FUD against systemd project because if GNU/Linux developers continue to make use of systemd and systemd relies on Linux-kernel-only features exposed by systemd these "people" cannot continue to leach and steal all the GPL work done by GNU/Linux users and developers which fills the BSD ports (software repositories). Many are also thought to be on the payroll of Microsoft to try and sabotage powerful FOSS projects with strong and powerful communities.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                      Final thoughts: at this point it's too late to discuss whether systemd is good or bad (unless you're into purely academic discussions like what NT would be without Win32 API). The freedom of choice is forever gone and distros are merely different labels slapped on what is actually the same product.

Bow to your corporate masters and adapt to systemd or stay independent and migrate to another OS. That's all, folks.
                      You can always, you know, not update. You'll keep linux as you knew it.

Comment

Working...
                      X