KDBUS & Systemd Now Yields A Working System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    If you can see the need for "user repositories", I don't see why you object to sandboxed applications which are essentially a more secure version of the same thing. What exactly is your complaint?
    I'm not objecting or complaining, I just don't see a good reason for it. We already have a system that works well, in the form of RPM/DEB packages, so also adding another format of "sandboxed application" sounds unnecessary. Added security is nice and all, but we don't have issues with that at the moment (that I know of), and those who are concerned with it have AppArmor and such that (at least seems to) provide much the same security features.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      I'm not objecting or complaining, I just don't see a good reason for it. We already have a system that works well, in the form of RPM/DEB packages, so also adding another format of "sandboxed application" sounds unnecessary. Added security is nice and all, but we don't have issues with that at the moment (that I know of), and those who are concerned with it have AppArmor and such that (at least seems to) provide much the same security features.
      Don't you get it? This is all about politics and control. If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck then it's probably a duck.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
        You should have actually read my entire post, I did say "Unfortunately I never finished it"
        And all you leave the world are screenshots. That's basically the same as the whole thing being a mockup.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          RPM/Deb packages are great if you trust the sources entirely but sandboxes are good if you want to install applications and limit their access to very specific things. SELinux/AppArmor is part of that but doesn't solve the problem entirely since they don't have the type of access control promoted for example by Android's intent model. If you don't understand the reasons why, you don't have to use it.

Comment

I don't even know how to respond to that, "serious problems with basic security" how is that? There isn't any proprietary software in the stack.
            But facts first from the source(your posts):
            - you admitted you hate GPL
            - you admitted you want to replace ANYTHING non-BSD compatible that finds it place within Linux with something BSD-licensed and BSD-compatible
            - you admitted you prefer all software BSD
            ----
            Outcome 1: This allows full BSD license for the stack in question
            The only difference between BSD and GPL, is that GPL is a strong copyleft, and BSD is a legally-incorrect, opensource license without copyleft.

Further on:
            - you admitted to develop a modern OS based upon open and proprietary components.
            Outcome 2: If this point gets Outcome 1 added, there is nothing hindering releasing a proprietary OS, that uses BSD components for spare parts. Such OS would be highly dangerous to Linux ecosystem and highly insecure in its proprietary form (and it CAN be turned into full proprietary, especially because YOU insist on this).

What kind of security do you seek in proprietary pandora box?

If your asking me if I hate GNU/GPL and most Linux Developers in general, you hit the nail on the head there friend, and I am not the only one ether
            20+ years of abuse because "we want to organize our root dir as we see fit", "because we want .desktop files to be valid ini files without some bullshit array
            that breaks compatibility" with a basic ini parser. Research history see how the Gobo Linux project was treated or how Maxim Shemanarev(Author of AGG) was treated
            years before he died.
            I know how Gobo was treated - they didn't like the idea to have a zillion of links everywhere and most of the users who understood the LHFS agreed that it was sane.
            Nevertheless, Gobo was not issued cease and desist letter and its developer is still healthy and alive.
            I was unable to locate evidence of Shemanarev mistreatment, please provide some search details. He developed a AGG with GPL2+ license. He died due to medical idiotism not considering risk (completely ignoring) of inner hematoma.

Also, what is your problem with .desktop files in current form?

Buddy I took over development of eggwm, as the author abandoned it, I added in a compositor and css styling for the window decorations, not to mention fixed countless bugs.
            Forking is a natural process in FLOSS, so ...
            Compositor was porting of xcompmgr? Why not using other, more maintained projects? Because you explicitly wanted BSD license? Well, you could, so you did. Next time, perhaps take dwm (windows window manager?), oops, sorry, its proprietary. You get my viewpoint?
            Last edited by brosis; 28 December 2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              And all you leave the world are screenshots. That's basically the same as the whole thing being a mockup.
              It wasn't worth finishing in Qt, Qt and OpenGL just don't work very well together. But alot of the time I will drop code examples on others,
              stuff that I used in one of my projects. So none of it was ever really a waste.

SFML2 or GLFW and Skia

I want to learn graphics programming, and I want to use Skia as the library. How do I begin with it on Ubuntu?

SFML2 and Ogre3D

SFML and OSG

SFML and ImageMagick

SFML and QImage

Someone is going to come along and say soo what! The point is do a search and see
              how many others bothered to get Skia, Ogre3D, OSG in SFML and those are only my SFML related post.

You should see the hell I raise on various forums/mailing list when an oss project(Example: Skia)
              gets better support for Windows then Linux.

I help others fix bugs, write experimental code and break that up into examples for new programmers, raise hell
              in the community to get things fixed or to have a higher priority.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                But facts first from the source(your posts):
                - you admitted you hate GPL
                - you admitted you want to replace ANYTHING non-BSD compatible that finds it place within Linux with something BSD-licensed and BSD-compatible
                - you admitted you prefer all software BSD
                ----
                Outcome 1: This allows full BSD license for the stack in question
                The only difference between BSD and GPL, is that GPL is a strong copyleft, and BSD is a legally-incorrect, opensource license without copyleft.

Further on:
                - you admitted to develop a modern OS based upon open and proprietary components.
                Outcome 2: If this point gets Outcome 1 added, there is nothing hindering releasing a proprietary OS, that uses BSD components for spare parts. Such OS would be highly dangerous to Linux ecosystem and highly insecure in its proprietary form (and it CAN be turned into full proprietary, especially because YOU insist on this).

What kind of security do you seek in proprietary pandora box?

I know how Gobo was treated - they didn't like the idea to have a zillion of links everywhere and most of the users who understood the LHFS agreed that it was sane.
                Nevertheless, Gobo was not issued cease and desist letter and its developer is still healthy and alive.
                I was unable to locate evidence of Shemanarev mistreatment, please provide some search details. He developed a AGG with GPL2+ license. He died due to medical idiotism not considering risk (completely ignoring) of inner hematoma.

Also, what is your problem with .desktop files in current form?

Forking is a natural process in FLOSS, so ...
                Compositor was porting of xcompmgr? Why not using other, more maintained projects? Because you explicitly wanted BSD license? Well, you could, so you did. Next time, perhaps take dwm (windows window manager?), oops, sorry, its proprietary. You get my viewpoint?

At the time when Gtk+ and Xorg developers were research a new Vector Graphics Library
                there were only two options Cairo and AGG. And even thou AGG beat Cairo in every situation both team in the end decided to go with Cairo simple because Cairo was developed in C and AGG was done in C++. You can review Nvidia's findings http://developer.download.nvidia.com..._rendering.pdf and you will see that in almost every case Cairo is not only slower but its Path Rendering Implementation is Broken.

Gtk+ and Xorg developers both knew they were implementing, broken tech but it came down to politics in the end.

Maxim Shemanarev the creator of AGG, ended development of AGG not long after Gtk+ and Xorg developers had chosen Cairo, I personally know that this was do to him feeling letdown and betrayed by the very community he was supporting. His work was 10+ years ahead of Cairo and even to this day is the most Advance 2D software based Vector Graphics Library that exists. Thankfully the community picked up where he left off.

Unfortunately Maxim Shemanarev passed away this year.

Many people don't know or remember the past as most in our community, were to young. I am getting older and the Hydra Architecture will be my final contribution.

Comment

Don't trust nvidia, but I know cairo is slooow.
                  Times change. Thanks for info.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    Don't trust nvidia, but I know cairo is slooow.
                    Times change. Thanks for info.
                    You don't have to trust them they provide example code and show you where and how cairos path implementation is
                    fucked in a major major way. And no one has or can deny that. Its a fact.

Nvidia Path Rendering Ext(Hardware Accelerated), OpenVG(Hardware Accelerated) and Anti-Grain Geometry(Software based) is what you want in your graphics stack for
                    Intel, Nvidia, Ati and Arm Based gpu's

There all fast, and support path rendering correctly.

This is what I use.
                    Last edited by zester; 28 December 2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Alot of the decisions that are "made for us" as the "standard" are done, not because of technical superiority
                      but simply because its a "C" vs "C++" fanboy thing.

Pay a visit to the Yoco Project IRC and start a discussion on C++ I wouldn't be surprised
                      if your made fun off because you use C++ and not C.

Or pay a visit to any FreeDesktop hosted project or the Kernel mailing list and start discussing
                      something you would like to re-implement in C++

Comment

Working...
                      X