Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.1 Benchmarked Against Linux, Solaris, BSD

Phoronix: FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.1 Benchmarked Against Linux, Solaris, BSD

While FreeBSD 9.1 has yet to be officially released, the FreeBSD-based PC-BSD 9.1 "Isotope" release has already been made available this month. In this article are performance benchmarks comparing the 64-bit release of PC-BSD 9.1 against DragonFlyBSD 3.0.3, Oracle Solaris Express 11.1, CentOS 6.3, Ubuntu 12.10, and a development snapshot of Ubuntu 13.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, you aren't comparing OSes, you are comparing compilers. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Michael, you aren't comparing OSes, you are comparing compilers. ;-)
      Well, if all software used same compiler.
      Then he wouldn't be comparing OSes, he would be comparing different version of software packages.
      If all had same version of software packages then he wouldn't be comparing OS, he would be comparing configurations.

So when does one really compare OSes?

Comment

And again CentOS leads large parts of the competition.

Comment

WHy benchmark DragonFly 3.0.3 when the current stable release is 3.2.2?

Comment

Performance is not everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
              Performance is not everything.
              That's is something that I have been thinking quite a bit. Considering how much effort is gone into making Linux extremely power efficient I wonder how far the *BSDs fall when running some realistics system loads. As electricity is not free it quickly adds hefty price tag to allegedly free operating systems. Of course the low performance also increases the power consumption per operation so the difference could really be notable.

Comment

I post, than I read.

I am pretty sure, Linux gonna beat every one of those now in most categories and overall.

Comment

Try to think before you post too.

Comment

Whay am I

Not amazed? Well and we don't even count really speedy distro like Gentoo(which I use btw), which in every bunch of tests I remeber biach slapped Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X