Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.3 Kernel: Btrfs vs. EXT4

Phoronix: Linux 3.3 Kernel: Btrfs vs. EXT4

It's that time of the Linux kernel development cycle again... Here are benchmarks of the EXT4 and Btrfs file-systems with the soon-to-be-released Linux 3.3 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Disappointed by BTRFS

I am disappointed by the stock performance of BTRFS. It has been said to be the next standard linux file system and it cant compete with ext4.
    Is transparent compression the only saving grace of BTRFS?

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
      I am disappointed by the stock performance of BTRFS. It has been said to be the next standard linux file system and it cant compete with ext4.
      Is transparent compression the only saving grace of BTRFS?
      Not sure if trolling...

Default mount options are used. Besides, have you even looked at the features of btrfs?

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
        Not sure if trolling...

Default mount options are used. Besides, have you even looked at the features of btrfs?
        Obviously not, if he thinks transparent compression is the only thing btrfs can do that other linux filesystems can't.

Comment

TBH I really would like seeing a MD-RAID0+BTRFS (and maybe MD-RAID+EXT4) <-> BTRFS-RAID0 comparison, and also the same for all other levels BTRFS currently supports (i.e. 1 and 10, with 5-6 in the pipeline IIRC).

Comment

Benchmarks with features

Thanks for the update Michael on the BTRFS development. I can't wait to see her stretch her legs when she gets into the wild.

I'd like to see more benchmarks with different features of btrfs and ext4 turned on (besides SSD mode). Not only does this provide me with information about btrfs features, but information on what I might be able to squeeze out of the file system in terms of performance for my hard disk. These types of articles, for me, are small guides on how to get my hardware to function at its best.

I've learned a lot from your compiler/mesa optimizations. Could you extend this to your file systems benchmarks?

~Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Linux 3.3 Kernel: Btrfs vs. EXT4

It's that time of the Linux kernel development cycle again... Here are benchmarks of the EXT4 and Btrfs file-systems with the soon-to-be-released Linux 3.3 kernel.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17111
              I'm very impressed with btrfs' performance.
              I can recall it being much slower than ext4 on pretty much every test, now, with stock butter, it is typically competitive.
              Presumably enabling compression would close the gap in every benchmark (obviously some more than others).
              So now, we need btrfs to have a file repair utility and online defrag for consumers.

Comment

Anyone seen any % of compression for the different algorithms with filesystem level compression? I've seen a bunch of performance benchmarks, but none of the includes how much space you save, and I'm on an SSD so I'd be quite interested in that

Comment

Originally posted by neuron View Post
                  Anyone seen any % of compression for the different algorithms with filesystem level compression? I've seen a bunch of performance benchmarks, but none of the includes how much space you save, and I'm on an SSD so I'd be quite interested in that
                  If you're using a sandforce controller then the controller is already performing compression.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    If you're using a sandforce controller then the controller is already performing compression.
                    .. which is not visible to the filesystem, so compression still matters a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X