ALSA 1.0.23 Is Here With Better Linux Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    This only happens with ALSA here. Never with OSS4. ALSA simply sucks, no matter how I try to configure it.
    I hope you understand Alsa is in now way responsable of latency. Latency depends on many factors, most importantly how the kernel schedules the process. In fact if you are a sound master, you'll use a real time linux kernel with Jack sound server.

Stop doing fud about Alsa!

Comment

I don't need rt kernels. OSS does the job just fine.

And "fud" about ALSA. Yeah, me and half the internet. Go write an application first that uses ALSA, and *then* come back to me and tell me I'm spreading fud.

Comment

And "fud" about ALSA. Yeah, me and half the internet. Go write an application first that uses ALSA, and *then* come back to me and tell me I'm spreading fud.
        Why are you mixing "it's hard to write an Alsa application" with "Alsa has latency" ??? Two things that don't have no connections.

And once again, yes you are continuing to fud alsa. If you really believe OSS4 is better, then stay with that.
        Staying to your words, Torvalds and the rest of the kernel folks must be crazy then.

Comment

Alsa does the job just fine.

You and some folks or OSS fanboys. Damn, I didn't know there's so much such people out there. Like Bulletxt said stop spreading FUD if you're not aware where the problem is.

Go write an application first that uses ALSA, and *then* come back to me and tell me I'm spreading fud.
          Nearly every app I'm using is using ALSA and it rocks.

Comment

I don't need rt kernels.
            Maybe check if the problem isn't BFS related if you didn't already.

Comment

Alsa is pretty bad on my hardware as well Azalia HD audio... sound distorts if you turn up the volume....

Haiku (Relativly understaffed operating system project) on the other hand supports my sound hardware perfectly I can turn it way up with no distortion... now IMO that is a real world differece If I can't watch a video loud enough to hear it without distortion there is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                Alsa is pretty bad on my hardware as well Azalia HD audio... sound distorts if you turn up the volume....

Haiku (Relativly understaffed operating system project) on the other hand supports my sound hardware perfectly I can turn it way up with no distortion... now IMO that is a real world differece If I can't watch a video loud enough to hear it without distortion there is a problem.
                No one said Alsa driver set is perfect(and it's not of course). You are totally free to complain about a real alsa's issue

On the other hand, Alsa for me always worked perfectly with more than 10 types of sound cards, so I personally can't complain about it.

Comment

Right and apparently you also are free to complain about my complaining....lol

Have you ever tried ALSA on an ISA chip... its evil but Windows and BeOs can both detect the chip which is an opl3sa2 ALSA claims support but after hours of messing with it I never got it to work in linux I eventually poped in an ancient PCI card that more or less worked with crakcling every time the card initialized to play a sound.

I'm just pointing out that ALSA a rather large project has more trouble supporting sound chips well than Haiku which probably has fewer developers spread even thinner...No to day that Haiku doesn't have issues but they do get looked at and get fix unlike the 3 year bug that other guy was talking about

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Alsa does the job just fine.

You and some folks or OSS fanboys. Damn, I didn't know there's so much such people out there. Like Bulletxt said stop spreading FUD if you're not aware where the problem is.

Nearly every app I'm using is using ALSA and it rocks.
                    I don't have a problem with most of my programs, but Gnome desktop sound effects are never perfect. Getting better though.

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    That's a pulseaudio "issue". Do not confuse pulseuadio(a sound server) with alsa(a set of drivers).
                    I didn't, hence why I started my paragraph with "all I know is" and did not mention any names whatsoever. All I know is that my Linux sound experience has never been flawless, and that in itself is enough to complain about. I don't know if it's configuration, Pulse, Alsa, all I know is now in Ubuntu 10.04 most sounds are great, but desktop button sounds are still crappy. Most all other programs I use though has okay sound, even ones which use Pulse, so things are definitely getting better.

Comment

Well, if you don't have PulseAudio, have a decent ALSA driver and hardware mixing (mix of which three is not impossible to come by), Linux audio is pretty likely to work for you without glitches, ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X